Let us start by considering the facts.
The burgeoning popularity of mobile devices has resulted in a parabolic rise in the number of apps available in app stores in the current marketplace. There lies space between stimuli like an enormous expansion of the mobile application market and business responses. In that space lies the power of businesses to respond to a rising opportunity that can result in progress and freedom. Due to the general simplicity of utilizing a mobile device, companies and brands have been pushed to employ apps to reach and engage their target audience. However, one cannot deny that the growth of the internet and mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets has significantly altered the way people do business, acquire information, connect, and spend leisure time on the go.
In this sense, mobile applications have become more vital to daily life. As a result, it has become difficult for software suppliers to design mobile applications that can function on various popular mobile operating systems such as iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. There is a growing interest in mobile application development. Given the current special restrictions, developers frequently reject conventional software development techniques to suit their goals or at least dramatically change. Adopting a mobile development approach for continual improvement and innovation has become increasingly critical.
This piece is created to shed some light on the mobile app development sphere, including its purpose, types, techniques to make one, and cost.
What Is Mobile App Development?
In simple words, Mobile app development is a multidimensional process that requires extensive research and resources to be conducted productively. Several software development methodologies are available, including waterfall, rapid application, agile, DevOps, and others.
The fact of the matter is sure that the mobile app development industry is experiencing a transformative phase. With the recent innovative advancement in micro-processing technologies, the user can run mobile applications on various platforms. For example, mobile apps will smoothly operate on PCs in the near years. Furthermore, Flutter or React Native-based mobile apps will run on Android phones, iPhones, Macs, and PCs. But, before we go any further, let’s look at mobile app usage data to see how consumers spend their time on their phones and the potential for creating your mobile app.
Mobile App Development Lifecycle
More than 3.5 billion smartphone users depict the growth and development of the industry. The steady growth of statistics motivates businesses to build or develop mobile apps. However, the decision might sound lucrative and remunerative to attain blooming results, but it is critical to decide on proper strategy and planning. In order to sustain in the market of over 1.5 million applications on Apple’s App Store and Google Play Store, the mobile app development process needs to be systematically designed to gain predefined goals and objectives.
As a result, the app development process entails:
- Creating installable software bundles
- Using an API to implement backend functions such as data access
- App evaluation on target devices
When developing scalable and robust mobile apps, you must also consider hardware requirements, screen sizes, and other elements affecting the app development process. With the growing number of mobile app development business employees, entrepreneurs, start-ups, and especially developers must understand the process.
Types of Mobile Apps
|Native Apps||Cross-platform Apps||Hybrid Apps||Progressive Web Apps|
|These programs are tailored to a particular platform, such as iOS or Android. These operating systems support the programming languages used to create the apps. These platforms provide complete support for development tools. iOS uses XCode and Objective-C, while Android favors Eclipse and Java.||Mobile cross-platform apps can be written in various programming languages and then compiled independently for each device.||Typically, HTML apps can be included in hybrid apps by using container construction. This is created in the native environment, and hybrid apps allow for expanded operations of unique elements to be used.||A Web application (Web app) is software stored on a distant server and distributed through the Internet using a browser interface. Web services are, by definition, Web applications, and many, but not all, websites feature Web apps.|
|Builds using SDKs and tools offered by platform owners like Google and Apple. These apps run natively on the platform choice of the user.||Minimum development charges||Hybrid applications are essentially online apps wrapped in a native app shell. Once downloaded from an app store and installed locally, the shell may connect to whatever capabilities the mobile platform gives through an embedded browser in the app.||Web apps are accessed over a network. They do not require downloading. A web browser, such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari, can be used to access a Web application. A web app requires a Web server, an application server, and a database to function.|
|Capable of offering the best runtime performance.||Each operating system investigates all of its features||It operates as a true program, not as a web page.||Web servers handle client requests while the application server completes the specified operation. A database may be used to store any information that is required. Web apps often have quick development cycles and may be created by small teams of developers.|
|The cost of maintaining and building codes for every platform is relatively higher than its counterparts.||Because native libraries are not available, third-party open-source libraries are used.|
|Features must be implemented directly based on the platform’s SDK tools.||The code is not natively written. As a result, it must be followed and bridged. This can be inconvenient.|
Mobile App Development Platforms
In the current scenario, two of the most popular mobile app platforms are Android from Google and iOS from Apple Inc. iOS is a proprietary mobile operating system that Apple built primarily for iPhones. On the other hand, Android can run on mobile devices manufactured by different OEMs like Google. While there are various similarities between the two options discussed above, it should be noted that different software development kits (SDKs) must be used for different platforms. Apple exclusively uses iOS for their own devices; however, Google allows other companies to use Android to meet specific requirements. A total of 1.5 million applications have been built using both platforms.
|Parameters||Native App Development||Cross-Platform App Development||Hybrid App Development||Progressive Web App Development|
Native Script Node.js
|Pros||Premium user experience|
Direct access to APIs of the device
Easy to maintain
|Only a single codebase is required.|
Gives access to device hardware and APIs.
No need to update or install as it can be accessed using URL
|Performance||Fastest in terms of speed and efficacy due to the OS’s platform base.||It is slower than its native counterpart because of the rendering process and additional abstraction layer.||Slower in contrast to native and cross platform , because they are not optimised for their platform.||Decently fast alternative depending on the quality of internet connection.|
Alternatives for Developing Mobile Apps
One can opt for any of the approaches articulated below as an alternative for mobile app development:
- Build Native Mobile Applications
- Build Cross-Platform Native Mobile Applications
- Build Hybrid Mobile Applications
- Build Progressive Web Applications
However, it is evident that one cannot skip the benefits and weaknesses of building an application, regardless of which approach you to pick. On balance, we can safely say that there are benefits and drawbacks to making an application, regardless of which approach you pick. By choosing a methodology that matches your procedure, you can accomplish the ideal client experience, profit registering assets, and develop native features expected for your application.
Why Choose Native App Development?
|Run Faster||More Secure||Interactive and Accessible|
|Provide access to the entire device feature set||Fewer Glitches|
|These applications may directly access the device’s hardware, such as the GPS, camera, microphone, etc., allowing for a speedier execution time and, ultimately, a better user experience. In addition to the above advantages, push notifications are a significant additional advantage of native app development.||Native apps face occasional glitches as they do not depend on a cross-platform solution like Xamarin or Cordova.|
Why Choose Cross-Platform App Development?
|Lesser time for development||Less Code Development||Cost-Effective|
|Since in-house developers don’t need to master various technologies, it can be faster and easier.||As these applications share a common codebase, it is far simpler to collect valuable user input in a more timely manner and implement the changes resulting from that feedback immediately. This input might come not just from end-users but also from internal stakeholders and other interested parties. Therefore, it results in an enhanced user interface, higher levels of acceptance within your business, and more user adoption.||In reflection it seems accurate to state that if you have to write less code and maintain less code, the business will finally be able to reduce the overall expenses associated with developing the app.|
Why Choose Progressive Web App Development?
|Progressive Web apps may be installed on any device directly from the web browser where they were initially downloaded. With this functionality, the percentage of users that quit using a web app is significantly reduced, leading to a markedly improved advantage in terms of the user experience.||A progressive web app’s performance improves due to its ability to work efficiently, operate like a website, cache, and provide text, graphics, and other material.||Moreover, Progressive Web apps use HTTPS to keep and manage the safety of the data they store and to eliminate the risks of security breaches, snooping, content tampering, and other illegal activities.|
Mobile App Development Process
All growth in developmental processes majorly depends upon activity. The three core steps in the process are understanding the product and developing and testing the product. Having said that, it is essential to note that mobile app development is a complex and multi-dimensional process that requires in-depth analysis and evaluation of resources, strategy, design, and planning.
Brainstorm Your App Idea
In the mobile app development area context, brainstorming the app idea is a problem-solving technique that combines an informal, crafted atmosphere with lateral thinking. When people are pushed to think outside the box, they are more likely to come up with strange ideas. Some of these suggestions can be developed into original, innovative solutions to a problem, while others might serve as a springboard for more suggestions. When you start with a few ideas, you may convert them into many more by either building them up or tearing them down. Building a mobile app begins with an app concept. However, you will need a lot of thinking to come up with the ultimate list of features you can give your consumers.
Build an App Development Strategy
Choosing a Correct Partner, Strategy and Product Discovery
First of all, let us try to understand that choosing a professional to design and create your mobile application is the first and most crucial stage in creating a mobile application. In the other journey, it is critical to conduct research and analysis and choose a business with whom to collaborate on developing your product. The next thing a company should do is determine what it is they want to make, who you want to make it for, and why.
A product that will serve as the mobile face of your company must be faultless and require much research and soul-searching.
From a customer centric view
The following are some of the reasons why conducting market research is essential to the creation of successful mobile applications:
Learn more about App Market Research Strategies & App Market Research Tools
Android or iOS?
The first thing that needs to be said is the mobile app platform on which businesses need to construct mobile applications is determined by the targeted consumer base. Users must select one of the two most popular mobile app development platforms — Android or iOS. Both systems have distinct consumer bases, typically referred to as Android users and iOS users. So the business must comprehend why there is a divide between these two types of users.
The other side of the coin is that the Android platform is the most popular mobile app platform, accounting for more than 80% of the market. So, if the brand wants to reach a more extensive consumer base, you must employ an Android app developer and create an Android application.
However, another criterion is that Android app users have a lower average in-app purchase average than iOS app creators, and it targets a broad consumer base with a lower average buying potential than iOS app users. On the opposite end of the spectrum, an iOS app development platform targets a smaller customer base than Android. Still, a more affluent clientele prefers it to the Android app development industry. On balance, we can safely say that the iOS app development industry is more pronounced when it comes to in-app purchase rates. The average purchasing power of iOS app users is likewise significantly greater than that of Android app users. However, if you are targeting a large consumer base, you should hire an Android application development company to assist you in creating an interesting app for your Business.
Determine the nature of the Business
The nature of your company is extremely important to consider, as it will determine how your company should be portrayed to potential clients and who your target clientele will be. Or, we can look at it from the other direction and say that the consumer research you conduct must be thorough and detailed to ensure that you are addressing the appropriate audience with your company’s pitch. For example, if you run an ecommerce business, your target customers will be a large number of people. In this case, you should choose the Android app development platform because it will help you reach many people with your Business.
Perhaps we should also point out that your target audience determines how you sell your app, so be specific. Paid app downloads and in-app purchases can be promoted to iOS users. Your app’s design and user experience must be tailored to iPhone users’ tastes. iOS app customers choose verified, highly-rated apps on the App Store. You may promote your app online and on social media. One should accept that if you’re targeting the mass market with Android apps, opt for free downloads and in-app purchases. You need an Android app developer to create a compelling mobile app. Your Android app requires a more engaging design than iOS. Android apps can be advertised quickly and efficiently using social media websites and apps since they have more downloads than iOS apps.
Try and answer the following questions:
- In what way does the company make a profit?
- Is there a market for what you’re selling?
- How can you create a successful marketing plan?
|Primary Research||Secondary Research|
|What does it incorporate?||How do we research?||What does it include?||How do we research?|
|Helps determine mobile app market requirements.||Online forums, focus groups, and social media platforms are just a few of the methods used to reach out to potential customers.||Builds the app’s foundation.||Perform SWOT ((Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis.|
|It aids in the development of the company’s business plan (model).||An investigation of sales and marketing strategy, as well as an examination of the current market circumstances, is necessary for a successful firm.||Helps with social media strategy.||Target audience research, social media optimization, trend knowledge, paid and organic strategies.|
|To help develop a successful marketing plan.||Pre-launch and post-launch issues need to be identified in order to determine which marketing strategy is best for you.|
Common questions to answer during app market research
- Who is your target audience?
- How will your customers use the application?
- Are there any better alternatives already available?
- What will your application do that other application won’t?
- What business model are your customers following?
- What language, frameworks, and technologies will you use?
- How many uses are paying for your type of mobile application?
- What is your budget?
- How long will it take to build your application?
From a Technical View
The process of developing mobile applications is a type of project that calls for a certain kind of management. When you take charge of the process, you are responsible for organizing the many different actions and resources that are involved, all of which are necessary for achieving success. The most effective mobile app development technologies include Python, Java, Flutter, React Native, Swift, Kotlin, and R Programming. All of these languages may be used to create mobile applications.
Choosing a App Development Tech Stack
Furthermore, one should not forget that the technology stack you choose will heavily influence whether your mobile application is scalable, safe, maintainable, and performs well. It will also directly influence your budget and time to market. Choosing the ideal tech stack for mobile app development is critical if you want to construct a solid, dependable mobile app with future growth potential.
A group of software programs used by programmers to create an application is known as a “Tech Stack.” It comprises several kinds of software, such as apps, frameworks, and programming languages, all of which help bring certain features of the program to life.
The structure of the technology stack consists of two components that are of equal importance. The first is the front end or the client-side, while the second is the back end or the server-side.
A framework can be defined as a set of additional functionality and components that simplifies the creation of specific applications. In simpler words, a framework is a platform or a base that provides the foundation for app development. The template of a working program given by the framework can be modified by adding code. The framework works on a package developed using shared resources such as reference documents, libraries, and image files. This package can be adjusted as per the specific needs of the project.
- Objective-C: Objective-C is an ancient open-source framework that leverages C++ pointers, and Objective-C is trustworthy and has third-party frameworks.
- Swift: It is a 2014 iOS framework that is newer than Objective-C. It improves coding speed, memory management, code reuse, and debugging.
- Xcode: It is an open-source programming environment that integrates Cocoa and Cocoa Touch. It has Objective-C developer tools. Xcode is a software suite that allows iOS developers to write, assemble, debug, and submit apps to the Apple app store.
- AppCode: AppCode is a Swift, Objective-C, C, and C++ editor like Xcode. AppCode offers speedier coding, more straightforward file navigation, editor customization, etc.
Programming languages consist of instructions for computers to do a particular computation and organize control flow between external devices.
- Python: Python is a popular computer programming language utilized often in developing websites and applications, as well as automating chores and doing data analysis. Python is known as a general-purpose programming language, meaning that it may be put to use in the creation of a wide range of applications and is not tailored to solve any particular issues.
- PHP: The full name of this programming language is “PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor.” PHP is a general-purpose scripting language that is available free of charge, and the server is the one that runs PHP code. Downloading and using PHP is completely free.
Learn more about programming languages
Deciding on App Analytics Tools
From the above discussion about the app development process, it is clear that tools for mobile app analytics enable businesses to monitor in-app sessions and user behavior. These solutions assist in measuring mobile app openings and downloads, locating user exit points, tracking the amount of time spent in an app, and constructing user activity tracking funnels. This program may report these data in several ways, including real-time usage, trends over time, location segmentation, and device or operating system characteristics. Marketing teams might utilize data to comprehend area popularity or demographic study. Additionally, other departments might exploit the data given by mobile app analytics tools.
Define your Minimum Viable Product
A minimum viable product (MVP) is a significant development technique for developing a new product or website, including all the mandatory features to satisfy early adopters.
Why Do You Build an MVP?
- Test the product market using minimum resources
- Get investors to see the vision behind your app
- Quickly learn what works and what doesn’t
- Waste minimum engineering hours
- Get the product in front of early customers fast
- Use it as a base to build other products
- Test developer’s ability to build and scale product
Key Elements of A Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Functionality – offer clear value to the users
- Design-build minimal but highest quality standard design
- Reliability – make the production quality top notch
- Usability – make the user experience intuitive and refined
Mistakes to Avoid When Constructing a Minimum Viable Product
- Attempting to Find a Solution to the Wrong Problem
- Skipping the Prototype Phase
- Aiming at the Wrong Part of the Persona
- Inappropriate Method of Development
Ways to Measure Success After Building an MVP
- Word of Mouth
- Better Client Appraisal derived from the feedback
- Percentage of active users
- Client Acquisition Cost (CAC)
- Number of Paying Users
- Customer Lifetime Value (CLV)
- Churn Rate
Functions and App Features
The most crucial feature may change depending on the application, sector, and audience serviced; nonetheless, here are five points that should always be front of mind of businesses aiming at developing apps.
- User experience: How users will interact with and use your app need to be the primary focus of your mobile strategy. The mobile application must be user-friendly, well-designed, and enjoyable to be successful. Collaborating with your app’s end users and target audience to better understand their requirements and how the app will be employed is an essential step in developing and optimizing your app for “user and real-life experience.” When users are not in the typical office setting, your software should be streamlined to be quicker and easier to use.
- Security: As the globe shifts toward “connectivity everywhere,” mobile apps should not be ignored in your company’s cybersecurity policy. Apps may include sensitive data such as credit card details, health information, etc. Mobile apps are typically loaded on smartphones or tablets, and their security is often disregarded. As a result, it is more important than ever to safeguard both the device and the data and programs loaded on it. As the development of your mobile app progresses, keep in mind the “security by design” approach, which essentially means incorporating the security component throughout the design process rather than later.
- Deployment simplicity and agility: In addition to providing a great user experience, the simplicity of deployment of your mobile app is critical. Simplify the fundamental supporting infrastructure so your team may gain agility and flexibility in support and enhancements. The development team’s job will be more accessible, and they will have more time to concentrate on software developments rather than corrections.
- Know your audience: Before you begin development, take some time to understand the end-user of your app, their typical day, and the language they use. Before starting app development, conduct a user survey to understand your target audience better.
- Make use of the operating system’s inherent technology: Use the operating system’s built-in mobile technologies wherever possible. Today’s native mobile technology offers the most outstanding user experience, the incredible speed with faster load times, security, and expanded capabilities such as complete access to a device’s hardware and operating system (camera, GPS, Offline, etc.).
Analyze and Plan your App Development
To achieve a glitch-free app development, businesses must follow the steps listed below:
- Revaluate the strategy
- Define and list the use of functionalities
- Build a roadmap
- Prepare for the initial launch
- Choose a tech stack based on the operating system
- Hire developers
- Finalize a name
- App store optimisation
Build UX/UI Design
UX design refers to developing a product that is both pleasurable to use and offers users an experience that is both meaningful and pertinent to their lives. The whole journey of the consumer is taken into consideration, including, but not limited to, interface design, content design, and sound design. User experience (UX) should not be confused with user interface (UI). They are not the same, even though they interact closely.
The components of effective UX design
- Useful: The system must meet the wants and needs of the users.
- Usable: The system should be as simple and self-explanatory as feasible.
- Desirable: The system’s design should elicit good sentiments and admiration. Users must be motivated to utilize your system.
- Findable: Navigating the system should be simple and self-explanatory. Furthermore, users must be able to locate critical information fast.
- Accessible: Disabled users, such as those with impaired vision, must be able to use your system and have the same user experience as non-disabled users.
- Credible: Users must have faith in you and your goods.
UX is not restricted to UI in any way. However, UI is a component of UX.
What is User Experience Design?
The fact of the matter is that user experience comprises all aspects of a user’s interaction with a company’s services and goods.
User experience (UX) refers to every user interaction with a product or service. UX design evaluates every piece that defines this experience, how it makes the user feel, and how easy it is for the user to perform their intended goals. This may be anything from how authentic goods feels in your hand to how easy the checkout procedure is when buying anything online. The purpose of UX design is to produce accessible, efficient, relevant, and all-around pleasurable experiences for the user. UX designers mix market research, product development, strategy, and design to create seamless user experiences for goods, services, and processes. They establish a bridge to the consumer, allowing the organization to understand better — and meet — their wants and expectations.
Learn more about User Experience Design
What is User Interface Design?
User Interface (UI) Design focuses on predicting what users may need to perform and ensuring that the interface has simple features to access, understand, and employ to support these tasks. UI integrates interface design, visual design, and information architecture ideas.
Best Practices for Designing an Interface
- Maintain a simple user interface.
- Maintain coherence and make use of user interface features that are standard.
- Be deliberate in page layout.
- Make intelligent use of different tones and surfaces.
- Make use of typography to establish hierarchy and bring clarity to your writing.
- Ensure that the system is effectively communicating what is taking place.
- Consider the settings that are pre-set.
Mobile App Design Process
From our point of view, the concept of mobile app designing is not limited to learning the use of design software. The developer always has the option of teaching themself how to develop your mobile application or asking someone else for assistance with it. However, the most important factor in the design process is having an in-depth grasp of the product, including its capabilities, features, and functionalities. The design should always keep the end-user in mind throughout the process.
We at EmizenTech would suggest you follow the route given below to attain a seasoned process:
- Building User Flow / Diagram for each screen
- Creating Wireframes
- Choosing Design patterns, palettes, and elements
- Creating mockups
- Creating an animated prototype and asking testable questions
- Give final touches to the mockup based on user feedback
A mobile app wireframe is a two-dimensional drawing that acts as a visual guide and explains how an application will function. To put it another way, a mobile app wireframe is a diagram. Only the essential panels and components of the user interface are depicted in a wireframe; the program’s overall design is not shown. A significant benefit of wireframing is that it offers an early picture that can be reviewed with the customer. It may also be utilized as an early feedback technique for prototype usability testing. Wireframes are more accessible to modify than concept designs and instill confidence in the designer once the customer and the users have accepted them. Wireframes guarantee that the page’s information and functionality are positioned appropriately based on user and business requirements. And as the project progresses, they may facilitate a productive discourse amongst team members regarding the project’s vision and scope.
Here is an example of wireframes of a mobile app.
Style guides can be used as a base for the long-term evolution process, changing the design and development across different parties while taking into account the variances in the platform. Additionally, it helps exchange subjects.
Some of the factors that can be considered for mobile app style are:
- Menus and Bars
- Dialogs and Alerts
Mockups for mobile apps allow the business to exhibit the app design before it begins production. They give insight into how the final designs will appear and let your team obtain critical client or user input before moving forward with the project.
Some tips from us to create app mockups
- Determine your target audiences
- Ensure your mobile app is user-friendly
- Include a complete surface layer in your mockup
Some popular tools are Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, and Adobe XD.
Also read: Wireframing, Mockup & UI Prototyping Tools
The prototype of mobile applications may be thought of as a sort of user research that validates the strategic design direction of a product. A rough representation of a product in action is known as a prototype. Prototypes are used in creating mobile apps to generate an idea of the look and feel of the product, which helps test how customers use and respond to the overall user experience (UX) design. Using a prototype for usability testing provides sufficient time to make adjustments to significant design concerns before the product reaches the production stage. It is too late (and too expensive) to make substantial alterations to the user experience (UX).
Learn about the Difference between Wireframe vs Mockup vs Prototype
Begin App Development
There are three important aspects of app development:
- Technical architecture
- Technology stack
- Development milestones
Most of mobile app development projects have three integral parts:
- Mobile Backend server technologies
- Application Programming Interface (APIs)
- Frontend development
What is Mobile App Backend Development?
The brain of a mobile app is its backend. Data processing, storage, and security are just a few of the responsibilities of the backend. That component of the app you don’t see but on which your mobile app relies for its operation is known as the backend.
An effective mobile backend handles:
- Data processing and storage independent of a smartphone’s capabilities
- Data sync and sharing across numerous devices and platforms
- Content updates inside the mobile app
- Oversight of the business logic of the application
- Authorization and authentication that control access to data
The first aspect to point out is that mobile apps require a backend because smartphones’ have limited processing power while performing intensive tasks (such as collecting music from a Spotify playlist). The mobile backend operates on a distant server and connects with the mobile app to offer a feature to end-users. The backend, unlike the frontend, runs without a graphical interface. A backend is an app developed for communication across devices and servers. The mobile app backend server conducts distant activities and analyzes information to improve the frontend app experience. Developers use APIs to access a hosted backend, which resides on remote servers (application public interface). A mobile backend connects with the app’s frontend to answer user requests. The backend and the frontend of a contemporary mobile app are inseparable. Without the backend, the frontend is non-functional; without the frontend, an app wouldn’t be comprehended by the end-user (since there’s no visual layer).
The real question is, how does the communication happen? How can a machine-based backend recognize what a person needs?
APIs, which enable two-way communication, is the key to the solution. When a user touches the screen, the frontend sends a request to the backend. The backend uses an API to get the data it needs to accomplish a task, then returns the results to the frontend.
Let’s take an example: Let’s say you’d want to purchase your favorite pair of shoes from Amazon.ca. You just click the “Buy Now” button to make a purchase and go to the “Checkout” page. The frontend (Amazon app) requests its backend servers to connect to the external payment gateway.
The result: you see a banking payment page asking for your payment credentials such as credit card details, address, CVV, etc. The API connects the back and frontend to the external service (payment provider) to show the payment page and pay for the order. The two-way communication guarantees that the app runs flawlessly and gives the intended solution to the end-user, which in this case is buying a pair of shoes.
Application Programming Interface (APIs) Development
An API is a collection of protocols, routines, functions, and/or instructions used by programmers to make it easier for different software services to communicate. APIs allow one software service to access data from another without the developer knowing how the other service operates. A mobile app’s architecture is built on APIs. Mobile APIs are essential for transforming a company’s vast volumes of data into a framework that can be utilized on a mobile device. Despite the widespread use of APIs, most businesses have yet to realize the full potential of these tools entirely.
Should You Buy or Build APIs?
Businesses need to make SMART decisions to achieve the predefined aim of developing a profitable mobile application. Buying ready-made APIs is considered a cost-effective choice, and building an API analytics solution rather than purchasing one might be daunting. Still, the most successful businesses have the greatest return on investment (ROI) when they apply an approach similar to the one described above. It is advised that you do both things at times. After all, developing a solution from scratch may take six to twelve months, but installing a purchased solution could take only a few hours.
Using Common Architecture
The average mobile application comprises several different components, some of which are activities, fragments, services, content providers, and broadcast receivers. You should specify most of these app components in the app manifest. An application’s architecture delineates the boundaries between the various components of the application and the roles each component should play. Some standard features of the typical architecture that can be used as a roadmap :
- Separation of concerns
- Drive UI from data models
Considering the fundamental architectural concepts covered in the prior art, any application must have a minimum of two layers. The user interface layer is responsible for displaying data from the program on the screen. And secondly, the data layer of your application is the part that exposes application data and contains the app’s business logic.
Documenting the Mobile API Development Process
Having a clear API process documentation helps the developer evaluate the history and current state of the API, which in the long run adds value to the overall development process. Documentation also helps in forecasting future updates. Another advantage of API documentation is that it allows other developers to use your API. However, while developing an application, you will need good documentation to aid you with the code if you want other developers to use your API.
Focusing on Security
How can a business protect data and applications?
Every app developer says security is a top priority. Even skilled coders may not realize that not simply the data requires protection. Frontend information is sent, and user and server data is transmitted. All such transactions increase data exposure and danger.
Mobile app developers must consider three aspects of data integrity:
- Authentication and Authorization
- Back-and-forth interaction- message-based encryption
Mobile App Frontend Development
Simply, the front end of the mobile app is what the user encounters. There are various frontend app development capabilities known as frameworks that are accessible to aid your frontend developer to compile all of the written code and relevant files in one location to operate appropriately on your final app. Ionic, Intel XDK, and Onsen UI are some of the more well-known alternatives.
Testing the Developed App
Mobile application testing is a multifaceted and compound process that involves testing core mobile app features like its usability, functionality, and stability. Mobile app testing is a vital process that is mandatory for the long-term survival of an app in today’s market. In order to attain assurance for value for the end-users – the application is also tested based on aspects like performance, security, and the UI.
Mobile device testing may be divided into two major categories:
- Hardware testing: The gadget includes the internal processors, internal hardware, screen sizes, resolution, space or memory, camera, radio, Bluetooth, WIFI, etc. Simple “Mobile Testing” is another name for this.
- Software or Application testing: The applications that work on mobile devices and their functionality are tested. It is named the “Mobile Application Testing” to separate it from the preceding technique.
Types of App Testing
To ensure the mobile app is easy to use and meets consumer needs. Functional testing describes what the system accomplishes in various phases, from identifying software functionalities to creating input and output based on specifications to executing test cases and comparing real and expected outcomes. Professional tools and genuine Android and iOS devices are suggested for automating functional testing.
Testing the application’s performance by switching from 2G to 3G to WIFI, exchanging documents, and more. Users should create hours-long tests to see how well their application and device/server combinations respond to heavy use. Stress testing evaluates if your application can run appropriately under excessive pressure, and your app’s responsiveness on an actual device will be tested.
User Experience & Interface Testing
The user interface (UI) of a website or other product is the primary focus of UI testing, which examines whether or not the UI performs as intended and determines whether or not people comprehend its functionality. UX testing, on the other hand, focuses on the whole experience of the user as well as how the consumer is made to feel by the product or website being tested.
The evaluation of the application when it is still in its infancy falls under the non-functional testing criterion known as document testing. Documentation is of the utmost importance when it comes to assuring a product’s success.
Security and the privacy of one’s data are two of the primary worries of those using mobile phones, and they want to ensure that their information is kept private and safe. If the testers with the application are to be successful, they must make testing the application’s security a priority during the testing phase.
The primary objective of configuration testing is to validate that the application performs at an optimal level across various devices with distinct hardware, screen sizes, resolutions, software versions, and other characteristics.
Conducting tests to ensure that the mobile app is compatible with a variety of operating systems, including but not limited to iOS, Android, Windows, and BlackBerry, amongst others.
Recovery testing is vital to examine if the application can resist and successfully recover from failures and crashes. Hardware and software failures, as well as network difficulties, are all potential causes of these outages.
The application’s beta version allows testers to find hidden faults in usability, functionality, and content. At this step, they construct a cross-platform matrix to solve every problem and assure total platform support. Beta testing is the most effective method for usability testing on mobile apps.
Validating your application’s suitability for major application stores necessitates certification testing. There are two major app marketplaces now: Google Play and the App Store from Apple.
This helps the developers to determine whether or not the application is a fit for the language or device accessibility or culture of a particular region.
Mobile app automation testing allows the user to run tests concurrently across numerous devices. In the context of mobile applications, the testing requires using scripted sequences that different testing tools can execute. By leveraging the outcomes from the mobile app automation testing, the business can get access to bug-free mobile apps that can be released into the market with minimal failure risks.
- Phase 1: Planning
- Phase 2: Identify Testing Types
- Phase 3: Test Case and Script Design
- Phase 4: Manual and Automated Testing
- Phase 5: Usability and Beta Testing
- Phase 6: Performance Testing
- Phase 7: Security and Compliance Testing
- Phase 8: Device Testing
- Phase 9: Control and Summary
Also read: Checklist for App Testing
In approaching this issue, one should remember that the size of the test depends on how many requirements need to be checked or how much the app has been changed. If there aren’t many changes, one round of sanity testing should be enough. When changes are significant or complicated, it is best to do a complete regression.
Parameters to consider while defining the scope of testing:
- Type of app: Native or Hybrid
- Is the app interacting with other apps?
- The necessity of network compatibility testing
- Front-end testing, back-end testing or both
- Checking Device, operating system, and version coverage
- Deciding on the coverage of locations for testing
When you are getting close to finishing the development phase, the next step is to determine what you are attempting to accomplish and what limitations you are working under.
You need to be aware of the following:
- Does the app work in conjunction with other applications?
- Are there no inoperative parts or features?
- What platform does the app use—native, mobile web, or hybrid?
- Is the testing of the app confined to the frontend only?
- Does it also test the functionality of the back end?
- What kind of compatibility does it have with different networks?
- How frequently will space and data be adjusted based on usage?
- How is the load distributed and managed?
- Does the flow of the program change if the phone’s state is changed in any way?
Make sure that you communicate with the team about the responsibilities that they play and the expectations that you have for them. After all, effective communication is essential to preserving a positive atmosphere among a team.
After defining the testing scope, strategy planning, writing test cases, and choosing a testing method, the next step in mobile app development is determining the steps for executing the testing process. Defining scope and testing methodologies are essential to achieving a successful execution phase. Testing execution is focused on features and specifications of devices, platforms, and operating systems. We have listed a few considerations that should be kept in mind while planning this stage of mobile app development:
- Execution of different testing methodologies based on the priority and scope
- Pointing out the areas that need modifications and resetting the testing goals as per the required improvement.
- To deploy changes effectively, the test results should be sent periodically.
- Continuous testing is mandatory right from the initial stage of development to the deployment stage.
The next step is evaluating and logging in the results and errors. One of the most critical aspects of this process is prioritizing the result based on their need and severity for immediate corrective actions. The developer should focus on risky and non-negotiable defects in the initial phase to avoid long-term implications. There is a variety of software that can be used to track testing results.
The vital points in tracking test results are:
- Defining the defect prioritization: Low, Medium, High, or Blocker
- Not avoiding the slightest of errors like a spelling mistake
- Logging defects to make timely amends for the errors
- Choosing a reliable printer for tracking test results
The review process includes creating a summarized report of the testing process and then generating a detailed review to get a better insight into the behavior and errors of the mobile application. The documentation should comprise even the lowest priority details and not miss out on the simplest of issues to avoid any glitches. The following aspects should be included in the review document:
- Device details, operating systems, and versions that were used to test the mobile application
- Summary of test with a detailed description of results
- The total number of conducted tests with relevant software and effects.
- The final decision of whether or not the mobile application is ready to be launched in the market or still needs some amends.
Deployment and Maintenance of App
Launching a mobile app is called deployment. Deploying mobile apps may be exhausting, especially if they’re complex and require testing. Mobile apps lose 95% of their users in the first 90 days. Design a high-profit launch strategy, prepare properly, and recruit knowledgeable app developers. Here’s a launch guide.
Pass deployment test.
- Check the output for end-to-end unit and integration test
- Rebuild the application
- Set up CI flow using tools like Jerkins, Bitrise, CircleCI, Travis, or Bitbucket Pipelines.
- Perform Static code analysis
- Develop product version of mobile app and send it for internal testing
- Monitor engagement to get insights
Best Practices for Mobile App Deployment
- Carry out Investigations Into the Market: During developing a mobile application, the developer should engage in extensive research regarding financial considerations, designing a strategic plan, identifying customer needs, discovering the right customers, defining entry barriers, etc.
- Examine how well you did: Re- Evaluations of strategies and plan is vital to acquiring the predefined features in the mobile application. It also allows the developer to update the processes and plans to achieve desired results continuously. This includes actions like maintaining a sharp eye on the feedback and customer support Ratings.
- Treat security as the top priority: To protect the data of users and companies, it’s imperative to gain extensive knowledge about processes like securing code, encrypting all data, using high-level authentication, and using an authorized application programming interface.
- Acquire Complete Command of Your Social Media Platforms: A robust social media presence is essential for promoting the application and gaining insights from the target customer to build a strong core.
- Determine Which Integrations Are Possible and Build a Strong Core: Keep track of your app’s primary features in an inventory depending on the importance of each component. This guide can create a hierarchy of elements that must be built before the others. This will aid in the organization of the entire mobile app development process, particularly more extensive projects with lengthier programmers.
- Being mindful of Guidelines published by App Store Development: As App stores act as an ecosystem that is shared amongst a multitude of users and developers, the need for strict guidelines and rules is mandatory to gain a safe user experience.
Mobile App Use Cases with Real Life Examples
Popular app: Netflix
Netflix is a subscription-based streaming service that allows our users to view TV episodes and movies on an internet-connected device without ads.
USP of Netflix:
- High-Quality Library
- Offline Playback Feature
- Add free
- Device Compatibility
Netflix innovative features like:
- Skip the intro, New & Hot, Fast Laughs
- Multiple Viewership
- An easy-to-navigate interface.
- Recommendation algorithm
|Revenue||2,970 crores USD in 2021|
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
If you are looking to start a streaming service, please follow the steps given below:
- Step 1. Find your niche
- Step 2. Decide on the content availability
- Step 3. Choose the monetization model- pay per view, subscription, or advertising
- Step 4. Study the video streaming app requirements – internet speed, computing architecture, cloud hosting, security, and network connectivity.
- Step 5: Determine payment gateway
- Step 6: Develop an on-demand streaming service MVP
- Step 7: Gather feedback
We can help you select a specialty and a technological stack for your online streaming service. Furthermore, we may define industry-specific needs, such as complicated cloud architecture. Our mobile app developers will turn your vision into a reality after you have a clear picture of your project.
Popular app: Byjus’s
The app provides a personalized learning experience for students based on their size and learning style.
- 24/7 video lessons on the app
- Comprehensive content
- Completely secure
- Engaging app design
- Easy to use interface
- Interactive and visual aids
- In-built chats
- Profile management
|Revenue||$390 million, 2020|
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
The online education industry is currently booming with opportunities. To enter the market, you must incorporate innovative features like ward progress tracking, lesson reminder, digital storytelling, animation, mixing software, and an excellent team structure. Our team of designers and developers can help you explore this domain while providing a route to bridge the gap between dream and reality.
Food and Drink
Popular app: Zomato
The Zomato is a top online food delivery app.
- Prompt customer support
- Secure Payment Environment
- Interesting Push Notifications
- Easy to Navigate User-Interface
- Advanced Search Options
- Interactive Feedback Mechanism
- Live to track
- Table booking
- Exploring food places nearby
- Zomato Gold
|Revenue||Rs 1,211.8 crore|
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
While entering this space, you cannot miss including features in the three apps to create a clone, and we can help you in building that:
- Admin app– Admin Dashboard, live reporting, and Analytics
- Customer App– Social media account integration, search option, multiple payment options, call restaurant/driver, Real-Time availability, track driver and notifications
- Delivery App– Trip Info, Navigation, Contact, Route Optimisation, Contact, and Strat/End Trip.
Popular app: Mint
It allows the user to link financial accounts in one digital place to receive a high-level snapshot of your financial health with this free budgeting app.
- Pulls and categorizes user transactions
- keep track of your bills and spending
- Free app
- credit score for free
- Manage utility payments
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
One of the major concerns while developing a finance app is enforcing the user’s security as it is a high-risk domain. We can help you create a secure app through thorough testing and monetization. Our team will also help you understand the necessary integrations, build a good MVP, and launch.
Health and Fitness
Popular app: HealthifyMe
Calorie tracking helps users achieve fitness goals by promoting fitness awareness and providing professional assistance.
- Highly customizable healthy diet plan
- RIA, the interactive AI
- Sophisticated and interactive interface
- User personalization
- Wearable and non-wearable device integration
- Goal setting, Tracking metrics, Push notifications
- Social sharing, Community building
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
To enter this segment it is necessary to target a section that will align with business goal. We can help you in market research and developing an app with various differentiation points to gain competitive advantages in the current market. If you plan to build a health fitness app, make sure that your app contains features like user personalization, goals setting, activity summaries, gamification, video tutorials, social sharing, community, etc., to lure customers. We can help you build a robust app capable of providing all the features listed above and delivering expected results.
Popular app: Myntra
Largest ecommerce store that offers fashion and lifestyle needs through an enjoyable shopping experience.
- Inclusivity and Device Compatibility
- Seamless stream less experience
- Convenient and easy-to-navigate interface
- Innovative options like Try-On
- App interaction – universal linking, social sharing, messaging/chat
- Rich app design
- Push notification, Geolocation, Booking calendar, in-app camera, and Data Sync.
- Access control
- Payment/ earning – Third-party SDK
|Revenue||Rs 2,891.6 crore|
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
We at EmizenTech can help you control your cost while entering a complex market in terms of platform, design, size, mobile wallet, advanced features, designer, developer, etc. One needs a proficient marketing and testing plan for a mobile app functioning in the ecommerce fashion industry to match the immense growth. Our team will guide you through a clear vision, tool, and development phase.
Travel & Local
Popular app: Airbnb
It is a leading service that allows the property owners to rent out their places to travelers looking for a location to stay.
- Easy signup/Login
- Payment system
- Push notifications
- Live chats with property owners
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
To build an application like Airbnb, your business will need assistance from a mobile app deployment firm with experience in building apps with proficient architecture and design customization to lure customers. You can contact us for consultation and guidance to achieve your objectives.
Popular app: Instagram
Instagram is a leading social media platform that allows the user to create and share photos, stories, and videos.
- Powerful storytelling medium
- Photo-editing app
- Advanced features (adding text, frames, stickers, etc.)
- messenger app
- eCommerce platform
- IGTV, reels, Photo filters
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
One strategy to assure its success is to ask your target consumers how to create an app similar to Instagram that they would like to use. Developing new applications is risky business since you never know how the intended audience will react to them. The mechanism you choose is entirely up to you: you may establish polls, contact the target audience, and directly ask them questions. That is where we step in, as it would be easy to complete the USP of your mobile application once you have received responses. We can assist you at every stage, from strategy development through deployment.
House and Home
Popular app: Houzz
It is a website and virtual community devoted to building, interior decoration, gardening, and house restoration.
- Immersive Virtual reality
- Augmented technology
- An expansive archive of design designs, new projects, and product ratings
- Excellent reference service
- More of a mood board and referral service
|Revenue||$500 million in revenue in 2020|
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
To provide unrivaled pleasure to consumers through the house and home apps, it is critical to remember that designing apps have transformed the way designers work worldwide. They have established a more efficient and productive approach, on or off the job. While building an app in this domain requires sleek features like 3D pictures, 3D vision, room architecture, material selection, and shades for building construction, painting, and space planning. We can help you build the finest app inclusive for designers, homeowners and property buyers by providing professional assistance.
Popular app: Apex Legends Mobile
It is a s a strategy battle royale shooter game set in the Apex Legends universe that allows the players to play with two friends and combat with other mobile players.
- Lucrative game design
- Role-Playing Opportunities
- Interactive interfaces
- Data Security
- Smooth and Easy to play
- Clean and simplistic UI
How can you enter this segment and How can we help you?
The gaming industry is highly competitive and requires a deep understanding of the skills and limitations possessed by the creator. Your business should have access to tools that can assist in music composition, design, graphics, research, marketing, programming, and more. With our experience in the market, we can help you figure out the gaming demographics, come up with successful ideas, decide on a monetization policy, design documentation, right technologies, prototype, and so on.
Trends in App Development Industry
- Rise of 5G
- Apps for Foldable Devices
- AR & VR to enhance user experience
- Wearable App Integration
- On-Demand Development Apps
- Food & Grocery Delivery Apps
- AI & Machine Learning
- Mobile App Security
- Super Apps
- P2P Mobile Apps
- Predictive Analytics
- Mobile Learning
- IoT-Enabled Mobile Apps
- Beacon Technology
How Long Does It Take To Build An App?
The app’s backend and frontend need to build during the app development process. iOS, Android, and backend development should occur concurrently. Small apps can be completed in 2 months, mid-sized apps in 3-3.5 months, and large apps in 5-6 months.
How Much Does It Cost To Build An App?
The cost of app development depends on various factors such as:
- Type of app
- Design, Functionality, Basic and Advanced features
- Third Party API integrations
- Location of App development team
- Business model
- App testing
- Hosting and Security
- App Updates and Maintenance
Here is a general idea of app developers hourly cost based on different geographical regions.
|Region||Hourly rate ($)|
|United States (USA)||120-150|
|United Kingdom (UK)||100-120|
How To Get Funding For Mobile Apps?
Sources to get funding for mobile apps:
- Bootstrapping: Funding with personal money
- Personal network (friends and family)
- Private investors
- App funding contests
- Angel investors
- Venture capital investors
- Crowdfunding- Donation-based Crowdfunding, Equity-based crowdfunding, debt-based crowdfunding
- Bank loans
Hiring a Mobile App Development Team
Finding a perfect developer is crucial for the mobile application development process; we have listed some fundamental yet essential aspects that need to consider before hiring a mobile app developer:
- Try to surf: Businesses must research, list, scrutinize, and finalize.
- Look for someone reliable and serve long term goals
- Check their profile
How To Monetize Your App?
You need to find an app monetization strategy that works best for your business.
- Email Lists
- In-App Advertising
- Sponsors and Partnerships
- Creating Strong Code
- In-App Purchases
- SMS Marketing
- Free/Premium Versions
- Strong Content Strategies
- Multiple Payment Options for Subscription Services
- Data-Driven Strategies
Learn more about monetizing an app
Marketing Efforts for App Pre and Post Launch
How to market an app: Essential app marketing strategies
- Do not overpromise.
- Your app’s landing page and blog
- App Store Optimization (ASO)
- Social media marketing
- Influencer marketing
- Paid user acquisition campaigns
- Set your KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)
- Retention campaigns
- Email marketing
- Prepare a media strategy for your app
- Conduct Market Research to Understand Your Customers / Create User Personas
- Conduct a Competitive Analysis
- Create a Content Marketing Strategy
- Ask Users for Feedback
- Consider a Burst Campaign
App Metrics to Track Post Launch
Tracking these vital mobile app performance metrics will help the business attain a brighter picture of development and marketing ROI.
- Drop Offs
What EmizenTech Can Do for You?
Have a Project for us?
Feel free to share your idea or request and to get a free consultation from us regarding mobile app development process. We are excited to transform your idea into a successful product with our tools, teams, and expertise. We recently developed apps like 2GTHR, Help bridge, Iran-TC, Walkys, Moriitalia, Pawmaniti, Groceryster, and Get Super. Please check out some of our exceptional app ranges to get an insight into our portfolio. We hope that our comprehensive guide will help you in your journey.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mobile App Development
- Is mobile app development hard?
Mobile app development is a multidimensional project that needs to manage with professional assistance. The level of difficulty of mobile app development is directly proportional to the complexity of needs, features and requirements of the mobile application.
- What are the main steps in the process of mobile app development?
Idea creation, sketching, wireframing graphic designing, and coding & programming.
- What are the four phases of mobile application workflow?
The mobile application workflow should be repeated in the various phases: analysis, development, testing, and acceptance, all through delivery.
- Which programming language is best for android app development?
- Which programming language is best for iOS app development?
Some intuitive and robust programming languages used for iOS are Swift, C++, and Python.
- Is creating an app a good investment?
Mobile app development is profitable if the business is willing to invest considerable effort and time upfront to attain benefits.
- What are some proven ways to fund an app at the idea stage?
Bootstrap, Angel investors, setting a crowdfund, raising donations on the website, and participating in funding contests are the most viable initial funding options.
- What are the benefits of a custom mobile app?
Easier upgrades, security, maintenance, smother integration, generation of additional revenue streams, etc., are some of the benefits of the custom mobile app.
- What is the best cross-platform mobile development?
For cross-platform development, we recommend React Native and Flutter.
- How to manage a mobile app development?
As a business stepping into this domain, it is essential not to miss or ignore the discovery phase and construct PoC, prototypes, and MVPs. Also, do not overlook the role of the project manager, who will take care of cost, duration and scope estimating, tech staffing, quality assurance, and delivery.