Last Updated on January 21, 2022
Undertaking ecommerce website development with Magento is deeply responsive, which makes the webpage highly compatible with all kinds of devices. This encourages customers to use the app at any time and any place.
What is Magento?
Magento is an open-source, cloud-based platform that enables the developers to build high-performance and scalable ecommerce web solutions. Released in 2008 by Varien, Magento is developed on the platform of the Zend framework.
Although Magento was first published by Varien, it was later sold to eBay in 2010. Following the breakup of eBay in 2015, Magento was spun out as an independent entity under its new owner, Permira. In 2018, it was further acquired by Adobe.
The all-new version of Magento, i.e., Magento 2.0, was released in 2015. The new version marked the introduction of some incredible features, like improved page caching, decreased table locking issues, enterprise-grade scalability, improved file structure with better customization, availability of in-built rich snippets for structured data, CSS URL Resolver, augmented performance and a more streamlined codebase.
Also read: Benefits Of Magento 1 To Magento 2 Migration
The incredible platform offers online merchants with a highly flexible shopping cart system, along with complete control over the functionality, look, and content of their online store. Magento 2.0 is best known for its robust marketing, search engine optimization, and a plethora of catalog-management tools.
Currently, Magento offers two different platforms: Magento Open Source and Magento Commerce. The latter can be further adopted in either of the two ways: on-premises version or Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS).
Magento Open Source
This is an open-source ecommerce platform that enables the developers to implement core files and extend the functionality of Magento by integrating new plugins.
Magento Commerce (On-premises)
Magento Commerce (on-premises) is derived from Magento open-source and has the same core files. But unlike open-source, it is not free and comes with an added set of features and functionalities. This Magento platform is primarily designed for large-scale businesses that necessitate technical support with usage, configuration, installation, and troubleshooting.
Magento Commerce (PaaS) runs on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud and is built to power seamless and innovative e-commerce experiences. It has the ability to power entirely customizable, scalable, and secure web storefronts, which are combined with leading hosting services infrastructure.
Magento Commerce Cloud can easily cater to all levels of the businesses- small scale, mid-market, and large-scale enterprises.
Significant Stats about Magento
Owing to the uber-cool features and functionalities of Magento, it is the preferred choice of many worlds’ leading solutions. Millions of online businesses are using this open-source technology to start their online store, including Samsung, Nike, Christian Louboutin, Bulgari, Ford, etc.
Let’s delve into some significant statistical figures to offer you more insight on the same.
- Magento powers 1.2% of the internet, which accounts for 12% of all e-commerce websites (Source).
- Magento handles approximately $155 billion in transactions every year (Source)
- On a global scale, online ecommerce sales on Magento are anticipated to climb to $224 billion by the end of this year (Source)
- Magento is ranked as the 4th most popular e-commerce platform with over 270,000 domains (Source)
All these stats clearly point towards the unprecedented popularity of Magento in building robust e-commerce websites. Delivering peerless products to the world, there is a repertoire of companies who deal in this domain. Out of the many options, we have whittled out a list of top 10 Magento development companies in the UK that can guarantee to offer you a highly interactive and seamless solution in tandem with unmatched support. However, first, let’s understand the significance of hiring a reputed Magento development partner.
Need for a Magento Development Partner
Some of the most prominent reasons for hiring the services of a reputed Magento development partner are as follows:
- Planning before execution: A good Magento development company lays a roadmap for e-commerce website development by taking into account the client’s objects and the level of competition. Everything is accounted for in advance, leaving no room for chaos and slipups.
- Extensive experience and expertise: From design to development to deployment, a renowned Magento development company takes care of every single thing. With widespread expertise, it is capable of delivering highly customized solutions.
- Round-the-clock support: Because website development is an on-going process, Magento development companies offer unmatched support at any time of the day and night.
- Helps you boost your store’s efficiency: A Magento development company conducts extensive market research, skims through the competitors and profoundly analyses your business to deliver a highly scalable website, equipped with advanced functions and features.
- Resources: Working with a professional Magento development company exposes you to the most up-to-date tools and technologies that augment the efficiency of your online deliverable.
- Top-notch quality: Magento development agency works with the most talented pool of developers. They also have a quality assurance team in place that ensures a bug-free product.
- On-time delivery: The e-commerce website is developed and delivered to you within the stipulated timeframe.
Top Magento Development Companies in the UK
Rave Digital Inc. is a leading IT service provider, offering end-to-end IT solutions to the clients. Founded in 2008, this top-rated Magento-Certified Professional Solutions Partner specializes in groundbreaking e-commerce deliverables, based on open-source, M2, and Commerce Cloud.
Since its inception, Rave Digital has established a solid reputation of excellence by shaping a string of innovative and client-centric e-commerce solutions for Global B2B, SMBs, and leading B2C brands.
The company uses a unique approach to understanding your business needs. Their flexible engagement models enable you to pick comprehensive models as per your requirements.
Former Clients: ONE AV, System Connect, WAI Global, Vital Baby, and more.
A top Magento development company, Emizentech is the best spot to find Magento proficiency at an expert level. Its team attempts hard to offer powerful storefront models to its clients by performing with many Magento versions. Emizentech holds a team of Magento certified developers with over a decade of experience with perfection in the eCommerce orientation at the web and that’s why they also provide custom Magento web designs.
Emizentech has a team of adroit Magento developers who understand the issues and bugs that arrive in a way towards eCommerce website development and locate them swiftly. The team also accomplishes the task within the defined time with no delay and top quality.
Former Clients: Hair2Heart, Brick Salvage, Rebellious, Heart-is, and more.
Magebit is a full-service Magento agency that works with a brilliant pool of Magento certified experts who are capable of delivering specialized e-commerce solutions. Founded in 2014, the company, in just 6 years, has catapulted into a one-stop shop for e-commerce needs- strategy, design, development, growth, and maintenance
Magebit boasts a roster of satisfied clients from over 29 countries, including the US, UK, Australia, Thailand, Japan, and Canada.
Former Clients: Volkswagen, Madara, Kinetics, Hargrove Cycles, Sabon, and more.
Onilab is a full-stack certified Magento development agency that boasts over 7 years of noteworthy experience in the e-commerce business. The company has a team of 50+ certified Magento developers who possess a thorough understanding of Magento’s architectural concepts along with the ability to customize Magento websites as per best market practices.
With a brilliant repertoire of clients from over the world, Onilab has even worked with many of the Fortune-500 companies. Over the years, it has ameliorated the process and obtained deep experience on how to create intuitive websites for an online store that will fetch more conversions and sales growth.
Former Clients: Public Desire, Robert Allen, Bright Star Kids, GSM55.com, Solobay BrandBags and more.
For 23 years, iWeb has been delivering e-commerce, Magento, and digital marketing services that drive conversions. Observing a highly flexible approach, the company has helped a plethora of clients capture new market opportunities by mapping Magento’s capabilities.
With every new project, iWeb has been nurturing its e-commerce value proposition, and attaining a definitive goal – to help web stores manage customer experience and loyalty. Working towards this goal, the company is making the most of Magento functionality, flexibility, and integration capabilities.
Former Clients: British Heart Foundation, Raleigh, JCB, Scruffs, Yuasa, TEP Technica, Needlers, and more.
RVS Media is a specialized and result-driven Magento e-commerce agency. Founded in 2015, this award-winning digital company is backed by 50+ Magento Certified Developers, Google Certified Marketers, Designers, and Technologists. These professionals use data science, design thinking, and applied technology to grow your business in unprecedented ways.
Having worked with over 60 market-leading clients, RVS offers robust strategies to transform your e-commerce and achieve the targets. It is their hands-on approach and the ability to produce cutting-edge solutions that can help you unleash the power of your e-commerce store.
Former Clients: Wled, Omorovicza, Kensington Design, Sunnamusk, Raft, Vital Herb, Marco Richards, Owen Brothers, Hatton Jewellers, and more.
dotdigital is a leading marketing automation platform that has successfully powered 4,000+ brands worldwide. Founded in 1999, dotdigital is a growing global business with 350+ employees and offices in over 9 countries.
As Magento’s Premier Partner, the company has a long and proven track record of success. Whether it is working on various types of Magento implementation, including creating a new site, migrating to an existing site based on Magento from another platform, or even updating the Magento version, dotdigital offers it all.
Former Clients: Caruso’s Natural Health, British Airways, SiS, City & Guilds, Leisure Pass Group, and more.
Redbox Digital is a renowned global digital commerce and creative design agency that builds exceptional e-commerce experiences, exclusively on Magento. Redbox works with the leading tech solution companies to deliver seamless digital experiencesto their customers. From email marketing and hosting to merchandising, OMS, and shipping, it offers everything to ensure unparalleled success.
Having offices in London, Italy, Dubai, Sydney, Auckland, and Mauritius, the company seamlessly handles a roster of international clients. It has worked on several complex projects and is known for adopting and implementing the latest Magento technologies.
Former Clients: Sephora, Nestle, Universal Music Group, Nespresso, Chapel Down, Paperchase, Screwfix, and more.
The Commerce Shop
Founded in 2009, The Commerce Shop offers the best of both worlds: e-commerce marketing and development under a single roof. They also provide custom Magento website development, Magento e-commerce support, and complete Magento CRO services.
With a unique creative ability and strategic thinking, the company ensures enormous success for all kinds of e-commerce projects. It is credited with the creation of an award-winning e-commerce marketing platform, known as TargetBay that boasts of over 500 customers and is growing +100% annually.
Former Clients: Black Orchid Denim, Boxes4U, Surf-fur, Aidan Gray, Aquathin Corp, Golden Rabbit, and more.
With 10 years of matchless expertise, 4 offices across Europe, and 80+ employees, Forbytes is a leading e-commerce solutions provider that has helped all types of clients pave their way to success.
As Magento agency, the company provides an array of services like Magento web strategy consulting, UX/design,web store optimisation, and cloud hosting. It works with the most popular technologies such as PHP, .Net, React, and more to furnish long-lasting and highly scalable digital experiences.
Forbytes puts special care into understanding the needs of its clients and delivering solutions that resonate with their requirements.
Former Clients: Trademax, Swebike, Offerta, Desenio, Basil365, The African Touch, Brain Spin, Koo Koo, and more.
Soft Loft has finesse in Magento ecommerce development. Founded in 2008, it is a full-service web agency that helps businesses achieve their business goals with stellar online stores. The company is known for offering agile, reliable, and cost-effective e-commerce solutions.
Soft Loft oﬀers fully-tailored services matching individual customer needs, along with on-going support and quick problem-solving. Developing and launching powerful Magento -based stores is only a small part of what the company delivers. Its day-to-day activities extend to all phases of development, and support of your online business.
Former Clients: H&M, Victoria’s Secret, Mothercare, Miller Harris, Bendon Lingerie, Pottery Barn, Inverted Edge, and more.
Tips for Hiring a Magento Development Company
Hiring a Magento development partner is an art. It is an immensely critical decision that can make or break your business. It is essential that your Magento developer should be authentic and technically competent, and to ensure that, you must do continuous monitoring of their work.
To help you in the process, we have formulated a list of some important questions which you can ask while hiring a Magento development company to facilitate a good decision.
- Are you a full-service agency? How long have you been working with Magento?
- Is your company accredited with Magento?
- Can I look at some client testimonials?
- What all services will I get for the overall website budget?
- What is your average turnaround time?
- Will I be in the loop? Who will be the point of contact during the entire development process?
- Have you carried out any significant Magento integration/ migration project?
- Is the ecommerce website responsive? Is it developed in an SEO friendly environment?
- Does the website integrate with a payment gateway?
- Are you paying importance to page load times?
- Do you assist with SEO and marketing?
- How reliable are your communication channels?
- Do you offer any guarantee for safe and secure operations?
- Do you offer documentation and post-development technical support?
There is no limit to the number of questions you can ask. After all, it’s your money and project at stake. So, ask whatever that crosses your mind to ensure the safety and success of your ecommerce development project.
Benefits of Using Magento Platform
Some of the most noteworthy benefits of using Magento are as follows:
- Magento platform comes with ease of changing and introducing new changes in the existing templates. This provides an edge to the businesses by enabling them to quickly alter and readjust their templates.
- Magento allows the management of various e-commerce websites from a single administration panel.
- The platform supports a range of add-on web themes. These themes can be used to make the webpages look much more attractive and thus draw a greater number of customers. Besides, Magento’s search engine-friendly URL structure and a plethora of SEO tools offer an extra advantage.
- Magento is known for its intuitive administration interface that enables you to specify the structure of product pages all by yourself. Its quick URL rewrite tool allows you to swiftly edit the Meta tags and Meta descriptions and improve your website’s visibility on the search engines.
Cost of Developing a Magento eCommerce Website
Costing is one of the most crucial aspects of website development. Every business wants to know the budget and pricing of developing a custom ecommerce website. First of all, the price largely depends upon the number and type of features incorporated into the website. More number of features will result in an expensive deliverable. Also, the cost differs across the world, and each company set their own rate that primarily depends upon two factors- the quality of work and the location.
We have done comparative research and enlisted some of the most popular areas, along with their labor costs per hour.
- U.S. based developers: – $50 to $250 per hour
- Eastern Europe based developers: – $30 to $150 per hour
- India based developers: – $10 to $80 per hour
Clearly, India is the most feasible country for ecommerce development that offers skilled labor at the most competitive prices. But again, there are various other factors that control the cost of development.