An application comprises various building blocks that are lines of code. Using these building blocks, developers design various operations and functions, which are then combined into a solution package. But writing various lines of code is quite troublesome work. Therefore, Low code development platforms were introduced in the market to minimize the work for programmers. By using this application, development can be both easier and faster.
In this article, we have described the most popular low-code development platforms in 2023. These platforms can build desktop, mobile, and web applications.
What Do You Mean By Low-Code Or No-Code Platforms?
An app development platform that facilitates us to develop mobile apps with little to no coding skills is a low-code development platform. Besides, they use a graphical UI with drag-and-drop power and minimal logic despite writing long lines of code.
On the contrary, no-code development platforms permit us to develop apps without writing a single line of code. It indicates that anyone can build apps quickly, even without coding skills.
Such platforms are closely relevant to low-code development platforms as both targets accelerate app development.
In addition, a no-code platform uses configurations and user interfaces, keeping aside traditional programming languages.
These platforms are gaining popularity as they provide a fast and easy alternative to the year’s back development process.
Thus, beginners without coding skills and professionals use these platforms to attain their business requirements to build an app, automate the process, and enhance digital transformation.
Low-Code Development Platform?
The primary purpose of the low-code development platform is to simplify the application design process. They are also termed rapid application development platforms.
By utilizing these platforms, businesses can automate the repetitive processes related to hiring and designing simple applications without any involvement of developers. Traditional application development requires hand-coding and follows strict system requirements. Whereas with a low code development platform, a drag-and-drop environment combines various features and functionalities. The major benefit of using low-code development tools is that it eradicates the requirement of hiring a professional developer.
Junior programmers or non-coders not qualified to develop high-quality software from scratch prefer low-code development. Also, these platforms are best for companies willing to create business applications with limited budgets and time.
No-Code Development Platforms
Such development platforms offer drag-and-drop tools that facilitate businesses to build software with no code. These platforms offer drag-and-drop components and WYSIWYG editors to gather and design apps quickly.
The non-developers and developers can use such tools to practice fast app development with customized functionality and workflows.
Solutions that Can Be Developed Using Low-Code Platforms
Developers can build from simple interactive web applications to complex digital products using Low code development platforms. Most sought digital solutions are as follows:
|B2B, B2E Mobile Applications||Sales & Marketing Application|
|Customer Self-Service Application||Customer Self Service Application|
|Customer Relation Management||Workflow and Coloration|
|Case Management||Industry-specific digital Systems|
|Robotic Process Management||Mobile Apps for IOS and Android|
|Artificial Intelligence||Native Apps|
|Mobility Solutions||Project Management Software|
Low Code/ No Code Statistics
As citizen developers are rising along with the increasing demand for apps for business organizations, these factors are favoring the low-code platforms’ advancements.
Let’s check the stats:
- Focusing on the global low-code development platform market revenue from 2020 to 2025, we found that it’s likely to reach about $65 billion in 2027, which was reported to be $13 billion in 2020.
- As per a report, low-code app development will lead to 65% more app development activity.
- The worldwide low-code development platform market is likely to generate a revenue of around $187 billion by the end of 2030, about $10 billion in 2019.
- Approximately 70% of new apps developed by organizations are likely to use low-code or no-code technologies by 2025, just 25% in 2020.
- According to Gartner, about half of all the new-code clients will take a rise from business buyers who don’t belong to the IT brands.
- A report says about 60% of all the custom apps are now developed outside the IT departments, and employees craft about 30% of those with either no or limited technical development skills.
- Around 82% of organizations say custom application development takes place outside IT, and that’s important.
Benefits Of Low Code Development Platforms
By using low code development platforms, businesses can create applications independently and simplify the development process for coders by automating manual processes. Various benefits that low code development platforms provide are as follows:
1. Improves Agility
The application, designed using low-code platforms, helps the company become more agile. Rather than coding visuals, designs are used to speed up the development process. By combining less coding with automation, testing applications can be designed faster.
2. A Decrease In Cost
These platforms provide the ability to design more applications in less time, decreasing the cost. The low code development also reduces the requirement for more developers, directly reducing the hiring cost. And by selecting the correct low-code development platform, everyone in the organization, regardless of IT, becomes more productive.
3. Increase In Productivity
Earlier, the application development process used to take months; however, by utilizing low-code development platforms, this time duration can now be reduced to days or even minutes. Low code development platforms help increase productivity by decreasing the time required to write complex web and mobile app code, and more applications can be designed in less time.
4. Enhances The Customer Experience
The changing market trends and customers’ choices can be well managed with the help of low code development platforms, which directly improves the customer’s experience.
5. Adaptation Of changes
With low code development, changes related to the new requirements can be easily implemented in the application. Immediate changes can be facilitated by low code development rather than getting into complex coding
6. Effective Risk Management And Governance.
It’s quite tough for organizations to keep up with the constantly changing regulations. Here comes low-code development that permits rapid change to fulfill regulatory needs and stay ahead of the time limit.
7. Change Easily.
Low-code development makes the apps adapt to the changing needs easily. Moreover, it facilitates swift change when needed, without any need for complex coding.
Best Low Code Development Platforms
Salesforce, a platform that is used for low code development, allows developers to easily design and deploy cloud applications that are secure and scalable. For automating business needs, it delivers some tools and services and later integrates them with third-party applications.
Capabilities Of Salesforce App Cloud
- Extensive marketplace for pre-built applications and components.
- For developing complex automated logic, drag-and-drop interface builders can be used.
- Possess high security and identity configuration features.
- Mobile applications can be designed in the Salesforce framework with complete built-in collaboration.
- Possess the best design capabilities for designing mobile and tablet applications.
|Platform Starter||Platform Plus|
|Extend Salesforce to every employee, and every department, and transform app dev for your entire organization.|
|Build custom apps that fuel sales, service, and marketing productivity.||Extend Salesforce to every employee, every department, and transform app dev for your entire organization.|
Appian, which accompanies its own IDE, is one of the pioneers of the low-code development platform. It is a platform utilized for creating applications and deploying them as a service that can be used internally for corporate usage.
Compared with other platforms, Appian can be accessed only from certain countries. Legacy applications can be linked in Appian using APIs, and further reports can be generated. In order to implement any CSS or HTML element directly in Appian, a special graphical tool must be used, provided by the platform. As in Appian, customization of the user interface is limited.
Capabilities Of Appian
- Separates application creation and personalization.
- Complex logic can easily be modeled by using a decision engine.
- Applications that can be designed by using Appian can help in the market competition 20x faster with limited resources.
- Simplified process modeler.
|Dive in and start building apps||For a department or specific use case.||For enterprise-wide deployments.||Unlimited|
|Free||Standard: USD 75|
Infrequent: USD 9
Input-Only: USD 2 per user/month
Priced per user with unlimited apps.
Priced per development with unlimited apps.
In low code development platforms, OutSystems is one of the professional and powerful frameworks comprising its own IDE, which is rich in functionality, a huge number of features, templates, and third-party repositories.
Using OutSystems allows many users to develop modules simultaneously, and managing applications, users, and roles is easy with this framework. The development process of a website or an application is easy with OutSystems as it takes care of the standard difficult parts allowing the development team to keep their entire focus on solving real-world problems.
For designing databases, developers can decide to use either officially supported databases or standard code. ODBC / DBC drivers or proprietary APIs can work with other databases too. With OutSystems, users get an option for customization. The user interface can be customized i.e., HTML elements can be created, and their styles can be changed with CSS.
Application performance can be monitored by using an OutSystems platform. The performance bottlenecks can be identified easily, and further necessary actions can be taken. Therefore by optimizing the automatically generated code, a high level of performance can be ensured.
Capabilities Of OutSystems
- Build up the full-stack applications genuine brisk and convey with a single tick.
- Effectively interface your applications to any framework.
- Provides rich mobile experience and responsive web applications.
- The safety of the application can be ensured right from starting to deployment by following all security measures.
- It encompasses real-time performance dashboards, which ensure a great user experience.
|Launch your first app for free, for up to 100 end users. No credit card is required.||Build and run multiple applications for your employees, customers, and partners.||Transform how you build and run large portfolios of scalable apps.|
|$0||$1500 USD per month/ billed annually||Custom Quote|
Priced per user
Microsoft Power Apps enables users to design an application from the beginning by using models or based on databases. The major advantage of PowerApp is that the employees can get access to corporate development tools from developers so that they can independently create the applications and the services that they require. Further, developers use Azure services for creating these mobile apps, web-based apps, and API.
Mobile App Developers who are at the beginner level or do not possess much experience in programming can use this platform as it contains a rich set of free templates.
Capabilities Of Microsoft Power Apps
- Incorporates with Office 365, Power BI, and Dynamics 365 as a matter of course.
- It provides a wide choice of UI objects and pre-built templates.
- It can easily connect with various third-party applications.
- By using Microsoft flow, advanced workflow automation can be done.
- Basic applications can be developed without any coding very easily.
|Subscription Plans||Pay-As-You-Go Plan|
|Per-App Plan- $5per user/app/month|
Per-User Plan- $20per user/month
|Per-App Plan- $10per active user/app/month2|
| Per-App Plan- Run one app or portal per user, stacking licenses for access to each additional as their needs change.|
Per-User Plan- Run unlimited apps and portals per user for one flat monthly rate.
|Use an Azure subscription to pay per user based on the number of unique apps or portals a user runs each month.|
It is a convenient and easy-to-use platform that can be deployed in just one click and also ensures a high level of fault tolerance. Mendix is an open platform that comprises a wide range of controls, and the framework can be customized by only using CSS. CSS / Sass are used in Mendix, and it supports integration with Bootstrap. In Mendix, there is an in-built visual UI customization tool that has an option from which personalized styles and color schemes can be created.
For monitoring the performance of the application, there are three Mendix monitoring tools that can be used:
- Monitor the application quality.
- Testing suite
- Monitor application performance.
Capabilities Of Mendix
- Comprises in-built templates and a comprehensive app store.
- Native mobile applications that are specific to users and developers can be designed easily.
- Tools for quality monitoring and automated testing of the software.
- Tools available for application analysis.
|Starting at€0/month||One App- Starting at€50/month|
5 users included
Unlimited Apps– Starting at€2000/month
+€25/user/month with unlimited apps
|One App- Starting at€800/month|
Priced per user
|Jump in and give the platform a try||Create simple workgroup applications||build department-wide business applications||Build mission-critical core systems|
6. Zoho Creator
Zoho creator is a platform that is attractive and can easily be used by developers. By using this framework, simple applications that meet the desired requirements can be designed easily. Developers would have to use Deluge, a programming language that is designed specifically for this platform in order to write their own code.
For designing an appropriate customer tracking database, Zoho Creator is a nice option as it can easily adapt to any equipment. The data can be easily imported from various databases, from the computer, or from cloud storage in Zoho Creator. For integrating the framework with an existing database, the installation of the additional software might be required.
Deluge script builder is a special code tool, which is a special code tool, and REST APIs are used in Zoho Creator for backend customization. In addition, the platform provides various tools for data analysis, designing pivot charts from the data that is entered, spreadsheets, and many more.
Capabilities Of Zoho Creator
- The framework’s interface is user-friendly.
- The application can be responsively resized for mobile usage.
- Incorporates with other Zoho applications.
- Barcode scanning is supported by the framework.
- In-built auto-translation is available.
|Yearly- ₹1,000/user/month billed annually|
Monthly- ₹1500/user/month billed annually
|₹16,000/month billed annually||Starting From ₹4,000|
/month up to ₹4,00,000
|15-day free trial. No credit card is required. (monthly plan available)||15-day free trial. No credit card is required. (Available only in yearly plan)|
By using the Google App Maker client, server-side scripts can be created quickly in less time. A wide range of templates was available on the platform, which can be utilized for application development. Google applications like Google Drive and Analytics can be integrated within the App Maker. For UI customization, personal code can be written in Google App Maker by using CSS. Backend customization can be done by using REST APIs and HTTP requests. The drawback of this platform was that it does not offer any tools for monitoring and performance.
Google App Maker is no longer available, The App Maker product got shut down on January 19, 2021
Capabilities Of Google App Makers
- Provides a platform where businesses can innovate.
- Design customized applications.
- Customized applications can be created from the data.
- By utilizing connectors, data, and systems can be integrated easily.
Google App Maker, got starts at $10 per user per month as part of G Suite Business
With BPMN support, Creatio provides a flexible process designer who can assist in designing complex processes. Unstructured processes can be managed and automated with the help of case management tools. Therefore multiple processes can be performed simultaneously by using the powerful BPM engine. Hence the detection of bottlenecks and optimization processes can be done easily through visual analytics tools
Capabilities Of Creatio
- Application development gets faster with features like drag and drop functionalities.
- Enriches the customer experience.
- Applications can be easily designed by non-IT developers also.
- Artificial intelligence plays a significant role in low code development platforms.
|Custom Quote Priced per user|
|A perfect fit for small and medium businesses with direct sales teams||Complete set of tools for short sale cycle and||Sophisticated tools for medium and large enterprises to manage all sales channels: direct and partner sales,||CRM Creatio delivers end-to-end processes to manage a complete customer journey|
9. Visual LANSA
It eases the development of unique products and runs the business engine smoother a computer, optimizes traditional coding and low-code in the same IDE that assists in building web and desktop apps using similar assets.
Furthermore, Visual LANSA facilitates the rapid app’s development, operation, and deployment. One can diminish silos between IT and development.
Capabilities Of Visual LANSA
- Allows integration with services without any delay.
- Developers can develop web apps without searching separately for frontend and backend.
- Impacts positively every business area.
- Improves developer’s efficiency by allowing usage of modules and components.
|Non-commercial / Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
We can develop business apps faster with this platform with no code. Also, it strengthens you with the simple tools that assist in converting all your data into a strong online database. Moreover, it offers you a straightforward and clean interface that eases app development without any need for writing a single line of code.
Additionally, it provides features that assist you in building powerful apps and customizing them. You can also craft a custom UI to view your data and upgrade it.
Capabilities Of Knack
- It permits the distribution of your web app across various platforms and uses cases.
- You can publish distinct app versions to different websites.
- Also, you can design varied versions for different users.
|Basic Email, Messenger||PriorityEmail, Messenger||Premie Same Day Response|
You can pull out the full potential of your business operations by including this platform and developing result-driven and high-quality apps that can connect information, ideas, and people everywhere.
Also, it assists you in uniting your IT teams, business, and developers so they can build safe, secure, and sustainable apps.
Capabilities Of Quickbase
- It speeds up your business processes to allow you to deliver the best-quality apps in quick turnaround times.
- It frees you from legacy systems and offers you a set of integrated calibers developed to perform together and enhance your apps.
|Starts at $ 600/mo Priced Annually||Starts at $ 2,000/mo Priced Annually||Fully Customizable|
|A great starting point for growing teams.||For businesses that need advanced security and controls.||For enterprise wide, interconnected use cases.|
With retool, the development of apps and internal tools have become exceptionally faster. It saves us from battling UI libraries, combining data sources, and finding access controls. Alternatively, one can develop apps hassle-free and deliver them faster to speed up business.
Besides, Retool offers strong building blocks, like charts, tables, maps, lists, forms, wizards, and more to internal craft tools. Resultantly, it eases you to work on your user interface and showcase them sooner.
Capabilities Of Retool
- Allow assembling apps in just half an hour with the assistance of the drag-and-drop feature from pre-built components.
- You can connect to top databases.
- Also, it permits working with data sources smoothly within a single app.
- IT handles errors or stores anything.
- Manages heavy things, like joining data to Postgres using SQL, reading data from MongoDB, and POSTing the outcome to Stripe API.
- It supports JS everywhere, permits sandboxing and allows data manipulation through reusable codes.
|$ 10 per user, per month||$ 50 per user, per month||Flexible Pricing|
For Your Business
|For teams deploying apps to end users||For businesses managing internal tools across teams and at scale||For organizations with advanced security, control, and support needs|
This platform develops robust apps as per your imagination. Also, it assists you to start quickly as it provides the power of an applauding database with the knowledge of spreadsheets.
Around 200k and more organizations trust Airtable, have developed apps using it and gave a new face to their business workflows while delivering the best outcomes.
Capabilities Of Airtable
- It strengthens you to create solutions with greater sophistication and caliber.
- Additionally, you catch up with valuable templates for product catalog, product planning, product tracking, bug tracking, launch, and more. Speed up your teamwork by automating redundant tasks and custom notifications.
- Permits you to collaborate with anyone easily, anytime, and anywhere.
- You can comment and edit and sync the changes in everyone’s devices utilizing their native mobile and desktop apps.
|Free||$10 per seat /month billed annually, $12 billed monthly||$20 per seat /month billed annually, $24 billed monthly||Flexible Pricing|
For Your Business
|For individuals or very small teams just getting started with Airtable||For teams looking to create a single source of truth to manage their workflows and processes||For teams and companies who need to create workflows & apps to run their most important processes across their orgs||For departments and organizations who have advanced customization, scale, security, control and support needs|
One more fantastic option for developing cloud apps without coding is Caspio. It is best suitable for creating reliable, scalable, and secure online database applications.
Also, it can assist you with database design planning, workflow, user permissions, and more. Allow designing, developing, and operation of apps using seamless point-and-click tools. Also, it runs on SQL Server and AWS to offer the top-class technology stack for remarkable performance, security, and compliance. It doesn’t charge per user, allows the development of apps with no restrictions, and is cost-effective.
Capabilities Of Caspio
- It enables you to build as many online database apps as possible in various use cases.
- Modernize your applications with data visualization using charts.
- Allow developing robust location-based apps.
Annually- 7650 per/m
Annually- 15300 per/m
Annually- 30600 per/m
For Your Business
|Free for light usage||Get started with the|
|The features you need to build powerful apps.||Advanced functionality and scalability to transform your business.||Enterprise capabilities and performance with SLA and white-glove services.|
Enterprises use this platform to strengthen their business users to automate workflows and create simple to complicated enterprise-grade apps for their custom requirements up to 10x faster without writing any code.
Additionally, it assists in eliminating manual processes and rapidly turning ideas into apps making business more productive, innovative, and transparent.
Capabilities Of Quixy
- It develops the app interface by dragging and dropping.
- Model any process and create simple, complex workflows.
- Integrate with 3rd-party apps seamlessly through ready-to-use connectors, API integrations, and Webhooks.
- Deploy apps with a single click and change on the fly with no downtime.
Starts with minimum 20 users
|Suitable when the no. of users is high and the no. of apps/workflows is low||Suitable when the no. of apps/workflows is high||Suitable for bigger organizations looking for enterprise features|
A low code, cross-platform, GeneXus is a knowledge representation-based development tool that’s chiefly focused on enterprise-class apps for web apps, Microsoft Windows platform, and smart devices.
Capabilities Of GeneXus
- It comes with interoperability capabilities for system integrations.
- It includes an app security module.
- AI-based automatic software generation.
- Deploy applications on-premise, in hybrid scenarios, and in the cloud.
- Digital process automation using integrated BPM modeling.
|GENEXUS FOR STARTUPS||GENEXUS FOR ISV||GENEXUS ENTERPRISE|
|U$S 119 /month First year, monthly payment||U$S 299 / month Annual Plan, monthly payment||Contact Sales|
|A Product for New Companies|
with BIG ideas.
|A Product for Software Houses that provide services & create Cross-Platform Apps for their Clients||A Plan for demanding Companies, looking both for excellence and productivity while developing software.|
It holds all the tools one needs to develop a website with no need for code. The drag and drop builder allows adding or removing elements from your website with just a click.
Moreover, Web.com features site restore and automatic backup functionality, keeping the site data safe.
Capabilities Of Web.com
- Custom templates
- Drag and drop editor
- Free domain with a plan
- Online store development and management
- Automatic website restore functionality
|$5.95/Mo For first month*||$7.95/Mo For first month*||$9.95/Mo For first month*|
|For small business owners who want websites that have basic content with limited multimedia.||For small-to-medium business owners who want a website with dynamic content.||For small-to-medium business owners who want to manage multiple large, high-traffic websites on a single platform.|
It’s a BPM and workflow software that permits you to develop apps and automate business processes. Furthermore, it offers 45+ pre-installed apps to build business apps.
Capabilities Of KiSSFLOW
- Drag and drop facilitate adding and editing fields.
- It permits digitizing requests and forms.
- You can develop tasks and logic using the drag and drop facility.
- It eliminates the coding needs.
|Your one-stop platform to build enterprise-grade applications|
19. Claris FileMaker
An app development platform, FileMaker permits the development of apps for any task. Also, you can deploy it in the cloud or on-premises. You can use it on computers, iPhones, iPad, and web browsers.
Capabilities Of FileMaker
- It supports multiple email attachments.
- It has a streamlined UI.
- One can copy and paste the custom menus.
- The developed application will be compatible with computers, mobiles, the cloud, and the web.
- You can use it for developing any type of business app.
|US$19 per user/monthbilled annually||US$39 per user/monthbilled annually|
|5-10 users only. For 11+ users see Standard plan.||5-99 users. For 100+ users contact sales.|
A low-code platform, Nintex is best for workflow automation and process management. Automation tools can be essential to promote your business growth.
Moreover, it works to speed up digital transformation within your brand.
Capabilities Of Nintex
- With Nintex, you can make any workflow simple as it’s easy to use and follow functionality and interface.
- It helps customize workflows and forms for your developers.
- Moreover, it offers users an easy way to build and follow workflows using the drag and drop design that the computer users know.
- It facilitates integration with other platforms that we use routinely.
|Nintex Promapp||Nintex Workflow||Nintex RPA||Nintex AssureSign|
|$955 – $1,405||$910 – $1,400||$90 – $140||$2 Per envelope|
|Includes core process management capabilities.||A subscription to the Nintex Process Automation Platform offers your organization powerful and easy-to-use software solutions to quickly automate workflows and business processes with clicks, not code.||A subscription to Nintex RPA allows your organization to efficiently and effectively automate repetitive, manual tasks with RPA software tools that are easy to use.||A subscription to Nintex AssureSign® provides your organization with a powerful, secure eSignature that speeds the process of obtaining signatures for all your business-critical agreements.|
21. Oracle APEX
Oracle Application Express, Oracle APEX is RAD (Rapid App Development) with various key features and great reviews. It scales better than other options making it a perfect app development pick for enterprise-level app development.
Capabilities Of Oracle APEX
- You can add Oracle APEX for free.
- It’s easy to administer and highly customizable.
- You can extend apps as much as you want to without compromising performance.
- Moreover, deploy it anywhere as it’s non-dependent on the development environment.
|US$360 per month for 1 OCPU and 1 TB of Exadata storage).|
|racle APEX Service is a fully managed, low-code solution that provides a small Always Free version and a full paid version|
A BPM software, DWKit performs as a low-code app development platform that’s comparatively new and less known. It offers various use cases.
Moreover, it allows brands to develop tools quickly for internal use. This way, you can work efficiently with less overhead costs from software acquisitions.
Capabilities Of DWKit
- It permits shortening your first release cycle fourfold and lowers your project TCO (total cost of ownership) by about 30%.
- Any power user or developer can develop a Proof of Concept.
- One can use DWKit for building a mobile or web app with workflow processes.
|free||$ 1000 per/mo||Upon Request||Upon Request|
|Development use only||Internal use only||Internal use only||Provides cloud & on-premise solutions|
The low code development platform is a wonderful tool for all non-programmers and developers. By using these platforms, you can design and customize the applications quickly as per your specific needs. In the market, there are various tools and frameworks available, but our selected frameworks are worth considering if you are looking to have low code development tools which are advanced, high-performing, and scalable in characteristics.