Just a few years ago, there were many restrictions to same-sex relationships. Some laws scared the people who were part of the LGBTQ community. That’s why these people couldn’t express or acknowledge their feelings. However, things have changed in recent times. In many countries, the laws and regulations against same-sex dating have been reduced, and some countries even support and have laws to protect gay relationships. This leads to the rise of many gay dating apps. Today, gay singles have more date options with the help of these apps than ever before, and online dating has become a part of that experience.
These apps are similar to the traditional dating apps but are specially curated for same-sex relationships. Users can find someone over the internet to establish a personal, romantic, or sexual relationship.
Although same-sex relationships are now accepted in most parts of the world, finding a same-sex partner is still not very easy. In countries such as India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Turkey, etc., there is a huge gay network, but it is almost impossible to find if you are just walking the streets. Using gay dating apps is a way to tap into the gay scene wherever you are. This article will go through the top gay and LGBTQ dating apps that you must try to find your partner. So let’s begin…
Most Popular Gay Dating Apps
1. Grindr – Gay chat
No doubt Grindr is leading the list of best gay dating mobile apps as it is the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people. The app uses your mobile location and gives suggestions of the people nearby your location. The men will appear in the decreasing order of their proximity. Although there are filters by various categories, but fundamentally, the nearer they are the more you will see them. The best thing about Grindr is that it is highly ubiquitous. On this app, you can find fetishists finding their kink, couples looking for a third person, people trying to organize chemsex parties, escorts trying to find clientele, and many other persons. In the last few years, Grindr has improved a lot. Now the users can post multiple pictures, alert someone if they are interested in him without saying a word, and get notifications without paying.
Noteworthy features of Grindr:
- Chat and share private photos
- Report people easily and safely
- Customize the profile to share more about yourself
- Find people near by your location
In the paid subscription version, you will get no ads, check more profiles, access to premium filters, and much more.
It wouldn’t be wrong to say that Scruff is another Grindr but for people with beards. It attracts older, scruffier men, and its user interface design features make it more eloquent. There is a “woof” feature in the app which is a speedy way of saying, “Whether we talk or not, make no mistake: I wanna tap that.” Generally, the app is used by people for hookups but you can find dates too. It is also possible to plan a meeting in advance if you are going to a different place. You can also add private picture albums in Scruff, though videos are only allowed for premium customers. The moderators of the Scruff team keep the app free of spammers and bots. The users base is also huge i.e. 15 million. The app provides you with the chance to date from anywhere at any time even during traveling. The company also boasts to protect the users’ data and won’t sell it to shady 3rd party companies.
Noteworthy features of Scruff:
- Powerful search and filters that allow finding people exactly like you
- Scruff MATCH – the more you swipe the smarter it gets
- Know the sex preferences and safer-sex practices on users profile
- 24 x 7 support for your community
- No spambots, no programmatic advertising
3. Chappy (Now combined with Bumble)
Chappy showcases itself as the gentlemen’s choice among gay hookup apps. The user interface of this gay dating app is very sleek and the features can even rule out crossed emotional wires. This dating app has highly strict safety measures for its users. The accounts of the users are monitored and users can’t share any explicit content and disrespect other members. The app is fully customizable and users can make the most out of it. Chappy also has a video dating feature for the people who want to meet the people they talk to but are not comfortable meeting in person. It also has an added security alert if someone screenshots your image, thus it is a good app for those who want a secure dating platform. The only limiting factor is that some countries have restrictions about its usage but people from the USA and several other nations use it.
Noteworthy features of Chappy:
- Users are not allowed to do anything illegal
- No photos of kids to prevent any paedophile activity
- Strictly prohibits the upload of any pornographic material
- Chat with people, send photos, make friends, and arrange to meet up
Convert Your App Idea Into Reality
Let’s Build A New App Together
4. Feeld: Meet Couples & Singles
Feeld covers a huge range of the LGBTQ spectrum and has more than 20 sexuality and gender choices. The app is a very safe place for open-minded people who want to explore their relationship desires. Users can’t just only create profiles for themselves but also with their partners if they are looking to bring others into an existing couple. There is also a group chat feature if you are involving more than one other person. Although the app does not have the friendliest UI but its messaging is real quick and advanced just like WhatsApp. It is probably the best app if you want to expand your relationship.
Noteworthy features of Feeld:
- More than 20 sexual identities including Heterosexual, Bisexual, Heteroflexible, Homosexual, Pansexual, Queer
- More than 20 gender identities such as agender, cisgender, queer, non-binary, transgender, etc.
- Enhanced features in the paid version such as adding private photos visible to only your connections and more extensive privacy options
5. Surge – Gay Dating & Chat
Surge is like another dating app like Tinder but specially curated for gay men. Surge gives you the enjoyment of swiping left and right as the gamification of human sexuality is a real thrill. Surge dating app is perfect for gay men looking for a straightforward and safe dating platform. There are highly robust safety features. The users can send pictures or videos that will vanish within a few seconds. The app is currently in the major cities of the USA including San Francisco, New York, and Los Angeles. There are strict data protection policies. Users have to undergo an email verification and specified criteria photos.
Noteworthy features of Surge:
- Set your preferred range of area and age
- No ads so that you can communicate in peace
- Premium account features include a private mode, who liked me, power message, after-match gallery, and many more
6. Growlr: Gay Bears Near You
Growlr dating app is especially for bears, cubs, and all men who want to meet their fans. You can find local bears anywhere you travel.
A Bear is a very inclusive part of the gay community. Some are hairy, some are muscular, some are heavy-set and some are none of these things. Being a bear means you are being yourself.
Whether you like to categorize gay men’s bodies or not, this app has a feature for it and people use it. If you are among those people who are a bit sensitive for your body and want to find a partner on a platform where both sexual and thicc (full-figured body) is appreciated then Growlr is an excellent app for you. There are safety guidelines in the app. If you have any complaints you can reach the support team through e-mail. To prevent unwanted interactions you can use the block feature. The app is having more than 10 million members worldwide.
Noteworthy features of Growlr:
- Send and receive private messages, pictures, or voice memos
- Enhanced features in the paid membership
- Only allow people of at least 18 years old
- Up-to-date Bear run and Bear bar listings
7. Jack’d – Gay Chat & Dating
Jack’d dating app was launched in 2010 for gay, bisexual, queer, and bi-curious guys and it immensely gain popularity due to its fast-working location-based features. Currently, it is being used by more than 5 million users in 2,000 cities across the globe. There is huge diversity on this app and it doesn’t withstand bigotry and negativity. There are filters such as muscles, bears, friends, relationships, etc. There are many safety protocols on the app, e.g. users have to connect their social media accounts during registration. It offers an anonymous swiping scene in which you can chat up with local guys and schedule dates. If you are on the go, you can use the app to find a partner who can introduce you to your destination.
Noteworthy features of Jack’d:
- Easily organize and share your photos and videos
- Easily chat and connect with other users
- Swipe multiple pics instantly and quickly message or unlock private photos
- 24 x 7 available support team
8. Bumble – Dating & Make Friends
Although Bumble is renowned as a female-friendly app, it is also a gay-friendly dating app. Men who are looking for gay partners can also use its swiping system. In the Bumble profile, you can write your bio, answer prompts, add up to 6 photos, fill in basic profile details, and add flags of what type of relationship you want. There are no rules of who can send the first message, however, the chat will expire within 24 hours. Thus, you can’t wait too long to say hi. In Bumble chats, you can also send GIFs and voice messages.
Noteworthy features of Bumble:
- Rematch with expired connect to get a second date chance
- Extend the matches by 24 hours
- Link your Spotify and Instagram accounts to share your interests
- Video chat feature if you first want to know your person before meeting in person
9. Adam4Adam – Gay Chat & Dating App
Adam4Adam is one of the oldest gay dating websites and now it is available as a gay dating app as well. Men can use it to find other men for friendship, romance, or a hot hookup. Whether you’re looking for a date, chat, friends, long-term relationships, networking opportunities, or casual fun, you’ll find it on Adam4Adam. In the VIP membership, you can turn off your publicity, use invisible mode for browsing, get listed in the featured members’ grid, and much more. There is also a Plan-a-Trip feature that lets you show your travel plans in advance.
Noteworthy features of Adam4Adam:
- More than 20 filters including age, body type, preference, etc.
- Browse users in other cities if you want to travel
- Send saved phrases to speed things up
- Drag and drop photos to sort them
10. Planet Romeo – Gay Dating
Also known as Romeo or Gay Romeo, this is a very popular gay dating brand in German-speaking countries. Generally used for hook-ups, the app also enables users to find friends, dates, or learn more about LGBTQ issues. The app is free to use, and you can quickly create a profile to get in touch with other guys in the world. The company also boasts itself free of big companies or advertisement income.
Noteworthy features of Romeo or Planet Romeo or Gay Romeo:
- Limitless scrolling through profiles
- Limitless free video calling
- Explore profiles across the globe using the travel feature
- Share your private photos for a limited time
11. Hornet – Queer Social Network
Although there are a lot of similarities between the top-notch dating app Hornet and Grindr, Hornet is quite impressive in its performance and there are very less irritating ads that pop up on Grindr randomly while you are checking out your partners. Hornet is like a boon in those countries where Grindr is banned or dangerous due to fake profile issues such as Saudi Arabia, Chechnya, etc. Hornet is the biggest gay dating app in Turkey. The community features of Hornet help users beyond dating. You can find events, stories, and updates of the people you follow and also search for things happening nearby you.
Noteworthy features of Hornet:
- Post and watch gay video stories anytime, anywhere
- Chat features include sending emojis, stickers, voice messages, and more
- Use hashtag feeds to find users with similar interests
- Personalize your profile by uploading multiple photos and customize your bio
12. Squirt – Gay Hookup, Dating, Cruising
Squirt is a popular uncensored gay dating hub for cruising globally from its base in Toronto. It was started as a hook-up website and has now released a mobile website. As it is completely uncensored, it is not allowed to release the app on popular app platforms like Google Play Store and Apple App Store. It’s perhaps the most explicit and the most body-focused. If that’s your vibe, this might be the one for you.
Noteworthy features of Squirt:
- Find hottest places to meet other men
- Easy to find the best parks, beaches, gyms, bathhouses, etc.
- Chat and connect with local twinks, bears, otters, and more
The gay dating scene has boosted a lot in the last few years and is now seen with no guilt or underground matter. As people are getting open to their sexuality and desires, the need for custom apps for particular sexuality is also arising. LGBTQ focused dating apps are in huge demand as of now and the market is not saturated yet.
In this article, we have gone through the best gay dating apps that you can use in 2022. At Emizentech, the best mobile app development company we are having expertise in developing mobile apps with advanced features & functionalities, and the latest technologies. Let us know your requirements.