Last Updated on May 4, 2022
The web ecosystem is evolving, and online businesses are booming at an insane pace. Every year, new technologies emerge faster and create opportunities to tap into them.
A recent study shows that the worldwide e-commerce business has reached $876 billion in the first three months of 2021. It will substantially reach $4.2 trillion by the end of the year and hit $1 trillion in 2022.
If you plan to build a large-scale ecommerce solution or open an online store, you are on the right path. But developing an ecommerce plan comes with a unique set of challenges.
So, what does this mean for you?
It implies that you need to employ all strategic measures to provide intelligent solutions in shorter times and attain substantial growth.
Here are a few aspects you must consider for ecommerce website development.
Register Your Business
Make it official by choosing an operating structure for your ecommerce business. Decide what will be your business type – sole trader, limited company, or partnership?
Understand the pros and cons of registering as a sole trader vs a limited company. Because choosing them wisely will impact your brand’s ability to scale, among other things.
Know Your Business Goals!
Aligning your business goals with the web development process is necessary. At this stage, you should know your target audience.
- Decide whether you want to expand globally or sell locally.
- Conduct customer profiling based on location, shopping habits, likes/dislikes, and digital footprints. It will help you identify the customization features, promotions, and other functions you must offer to fulfill their requirements.
Find The Right Platform
There are many options to run your ecommerce websites. Yet, the following features are decisive to your ecommerce plan:
- Responsive Design: Your ecommerce solution should offer a consistent experience across multiple devices and platforms.
- Content Management System (CMS): You need a robust CMS for editing and updating dynamic content like blogs in a design.
- Shopping Cart: It is a necessity for seamless shopping. Ensure that you customize and style it to fit the experience.
- Payment Processing: Your ecommerce platform must have the functionality to accept payments from credit/debit cards, PayPal, and other payment gateways.
Plan Website Design
Remember, the first impression is the last! When a customer visits the website, it should make a positive impact on them. It should make them stay on the page and encourage them to check out the products. For this to happen.
- Use high-resolution images, keep the color palette and theme sober yet appealing. The text should be simple, easy to read, and catchy.
- Having user reviews adds credibility to the website, which allows customers to trust your services.
- The interface should be user-friendly and not complicated. The customers should be able to reach the product in the least possible steps.
- Having an autocomplete feature on the search bar can help users find what they are looking for or related items.
A large part of the sales comes from the traffic that uses mobile devices to access the website. So, having a mobile adaptive web design ensures that the web store is easily accessible for your customers. Check out Google’s advice to ensure that your ecommerce site is mobile-friendly.
Website Security Is Critical
The security of an ecommerce website is essential – for you as well as for the customers. To ensure data safety and avoid breaches, you can take the following measures.
- An SSL certificate is essential, especially for websites with online payment and credit card information. It provides a secure connection to transmit customer details and gain their trust.
- You can also use HTTPS protocol that protects the confidentiality of the data exchanged between the website and the users. It can also enhance the search engine ranking.
- In case of hacks, crashes, and other difficult situations, you should also have some kind of emergency recovery tool in your arsenal.
Optimize Your Website
If your website takes over 5 seconds to load, the chances of customers bouncing off increases manifold. Thus, ensure that your website loads faster and performs at the optimal speed. You can use the following to enhance the overall website’s working and speed.
- Use compressed images that are small, take less time to load, and offer good quality visuals.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) It is an essential tool to improve the visibility of your website on SERPs (Search Engine Return Pages). Research shows that SEO can improve the organic ranking significantly, which increases sales ability.
Leverage The Latest Trends
Online businesses are always looking for ways to enhance their revenues and customer experience. So, keep up with trends to expand your development toolkit.
- Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) recreate the in-app experience within a browser to enhance the user experience. These apps offer reduced development time and cost.
- Virtual/Augmented Reality Design your websites with AR/VR to let your customers experience and engage with the 3D world in real-time.
- Motion User Interface It is the next ‘big thing’ that you can use to enhance the website design and boost its appearance.
Unlike any other industry, trends in e-commerce web development can change faster than you anticipate. But, if you do not adapt to change, you are bound to get buried by competitors.
So, arm yourself with the current and future aspects of the ecommerce landscape. Of course, you should hire a professional to save yourself from all the hassle.