Streamlined operations and real-time collaboration are at the heart of every successful enterprise. This leads us to the exploration of tools and platforms that promise such efficacy. Enter Odoo Runbot – a name that often echoes across the realms of continuous integration and quality assurance. But what exactly is Odoo Runbot? Why has it become an essential part of the modern software testing process?
Whether you’re a seasoned developer, an Odoo enthusiast, or someone just dipping their toes into the world of software deployment, this article aims to unravel the mysteries of Odoo Runbot for you.
Join us as we dive deep into its functionalities, its significance, and how it’s changing the game for software testers and developers alike. Welcome to your comprehensive guide to everything Odoo Runbot!
What is Odoo Runbot?
Oddo Runbot is a server that acts as a host for various Odoo ERP versions and branches installed. It is a portal that works online and is used for testing features of Odoo ERP. All the latest versions of Odoo, like production and testing, are usually available on Odoo Runbot. Testing versions of various branches such as Odoo 11,12,13,14,15,16 and SaaS. In the Odoo Runbot can help sort the problems faced by the developers/or engineers.
A developer or engineer looking to troubleshoot problems might turn to Odoo Runbot for clarity. In doing so, they’ll encounter one of three scenarios:
- If a particular issue arises within the Runbot environment, it’s indicative of a bug.
- In the absence of such issues, it’s possible that there’s a configuration misstep in the local Odoo version.
- Odoo Runbot often functions as an active Odoo Partner, meticulously testing branches that are pushed to GitHub.
Odoo is fast, simple, and intuitive to use. Anyone can access it anytime from anywhere: PC, mobile, or PC. It has hundreds of modules to access, and it is possible to develop features or integrate your Odoo with 3rd party apps.
What Is the Main Function of Odoo Runbot?
A server that offers Odoo Runbot installation is called Odoo Runbot. RunBot is introduced in accordance with various Odoo efforts and versions.
Here Are The Main Functions Of Odoo Runbot
- Testing Environment: Provides a consistent platform for testing various versions and branches of the Odoo software.
- Real-time Integration: Allows for the real-time integration of new code, ensuring immediate feedback on functionality and compatibility.
- Quality Assurance: Assists developers and QA professionals in identifying errors or bugs in new changes or additions to the software.
- Compatibility Check: Ensures different Odoo versions and branches work harmoniously together without conflicts.
- Streamlined Development: Facilitates a smoother development process by offering an environment to test code before final deployment.
How Can You Access Oddo Runbot?
Businesses can try the latest and earlier versions of Odoo on an online platform known as Runbot. The platform server is available on both enterprise and community. One can access the platform anytime to test the features of Odoo versions, as it is open-source.
The Odoo runbot server is up to date and upgraded, so one can get the latest testing features.
Accessing Odoo Runbot
First, search for the “odoo Runbot” on any browser and select https://runbot.odoo.com/ this link. After clicking on the link, the screen shown is mentioned below:
On this screen, the homepage of the Runbot server is highlighted with two colors: green and red.
The red color indicates that it is not active, and the green color shows vice versa, indicating that the build is active.
If you want to select a particular Odoo build version, click on the blue button in the rows like in the image given below:
Now, here we can choose community or enterprise.
Here, ‘Enterprise’ represents the enterprise version, and ‘Odoo’ represents the Community version.
Mainly, there are two databases in the Odoo Runbot; one is “base,” and another is “all”. Every module will be installed in “all” databases, along with demo data, while no modules are put in “base” databases.
To check the latest build features, can use the Odoo Runbot. It is a multi-user environment, so it can be accessed by many users at a time.
Now, we can see that the image below shows the build errors by clicking the gear symbol that shows the non-active branches.
In the below image, we can see the failure and errors of the build; this is a simple log file of all the details.
Now can just click on the blue button in the row and it will redirect to the website.
In this screenshot, we can now see the sign-in option. Clicking on that will open a page like the one mentioned below.
This window shows the email, password, and login options. One just needs to enter the details and click on the login button.
Here, we can see the corresponding session we chose: enterprise and community.
Features in the Odoo Runbot
Mentioned below are some of the important key factors of Odoo Runbot:
- Automated Builds: Whenever new code is pushed to an Odoo repository, Runbot triggers a new build to test the new changes.
- Testing: The Runbot compiles the code and runs the automated tests to ensure that any new changes do not introduce regressions.
- Staging & Production Builds: Runbot can create different types of builds such as staging builds which include all the proposed changes and production builds which contain only the validated changes.
- Logging: All test outputs, errors, and warnings are logged for developers to review if a build fails.
- Visual Indicators: On the Runbot dashboard, builds are color-coded to easily identify their status. For example, green indicates a successful build, red indicates a failed build, and yellow means the tests are still running.
- Green Button: Click the “Green Button” to access the “base” database. The build page’s logs, warnings, and errors are also presented using it.
- Blue Button: The “blue button” can be used to access the “All” database in the RunBot database.
- Detailed Build Information: For each build, Runbot provides information like the commit hash, author, commit message, and other relevant data.
- Instant Deploy: Developers and testers can instantly deploy a version of Odoo with the new changes on a test instance directly from the Runbot.
- Database Management: For each build, a new database is created. This ensures that tests are performed in an isolated environment.
- Links to GitHub: If a build fails, developers can directly access the commit on GitHub from the Runbot interface.
- Kill Builds: If a build is no longer required or if resources need to be freed up, builds can be terminated.
- Multiple Versions: Runbot can manage builds for different versions of Odoo concurrently. This is crucial since Odoo frequently releases new versions while also maintaining older versions.
- Performance Metrics: Beyond just pass/fail results, Runbot can also provide performance metrics, helping developers to ensure that new changes do not significantly degrade the performance of the system.
- Custom Configurations: It allows the use of custom configurations to test modules or features under specific conditions.
- Docker Integration: Newer versions of Runbot support Docker, making it easier to manage and deploy test instances.
- Integration with other Odoo tools: Runbot is tightly integrated with other tools in the Odoo ecosystem, like the upgrade platform.
- Key Logs: In Odoo, Runbot is used for errors, key logs, and errors. They are displayed on the build page.
- Full Base Logs: It displays complete logs of the whole Odoo installation process in the “base” database.
- Full All Logs: It displays whole logs for all existing installation processes in the “whole” database.
- Full Run Logs: They are used because one can inspect it essentially both for databases that continue after they’ve been run.
How Can Emizentech Help You?
As a software development company, we have a team of expert developers specializing in diverse latest tools and technologies. We can help you integrate all the oddo apps like finance, manufacturing, sales, human resources, website & marketing, and all other services like project management, timesheet, and many more. Our team is available 24/7 to help you with any doubts and confusion; you can contact us now and get to know all the benefits you can get with our company for your business.
One of the most popular platforms for testing Odoo features is undoubtedly Odoo RunBot. Anyone can obtain and learn additional information very easily. We have made an effort to provide a greater understanding of Odoo RunBot’s operation through this blog. We anticipate that this blog will be able to dispel any lingering questions about Odoo Runbot and its practical features.
Please get in touch if you have any questions.