Last Updated on April 6, 2022
Well, 2021 is about to get over, and with time some mobile apps attained success, and some just failed. So, you should avoid those mistakes that can lead your app towards a breakdown.
Before starting your journey towards building a successful mobile app, you need to understand the entire game of the mobile app industry. You should check what features and functionalities you can integrate with your app to make it successful and valuable. And for that, you should go through the market research and statistics of the most popular apps in 2021.
We have compiled the statistics of the most downloaded & popular apps by country, category, OS, and more in this post. We assure you, this post will help you catch up with the best app ideas along with the required features and functionalities that will make you emerge with a popular app.
Here are some basic rules we decided while compiling the list of most used apps in 2021:
- Where required we combined the data from Apple Store & Google Play Store.
- The apps are categorized and in a few cases, an app qualified for multiple categories due to its features.
- All the data provided here is true to our knowledge and is based on various credible sources in the app industry.
- If you find any data not accurate please let us know.
Table of Contents
Mobile App Global Stats & Market Research for 2020-21
|New App Downloads||$218B||+7% YoY Growth|
|App Store Spend||$143B||+20% YoY Growth|
|Daily Time Spent Per User||4.2 Hrs||+20% YoY Growth|
|Mobile Ad Spend||$240B||+26% YoY Growth|
|Venture Capital to Mobile Tech||$73B||+27% YoY Growth|
|Avg. Consumer Spend Q2 2021||$5.31|
Most Popular Apps by Country
Here we have provided the market statistics for a few major countries. The following tables go through the most popular apps in the US, UK, China, India, Australia, Brazil, Russia, Switzerland & France.
Most Popular Apps 2021 In United States
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|TikTok||China||1 billion +||As recorded in Sep 2021, worldwide downloads of TikTok is 15 million.|
|YouTube||US||10 billion +||Widely used for enjoying music videos, YouTube caught up with 12 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Cash App||US||50 million +||As per the report of Sep 2021, the worldwide downloads of Cash App was 2 million.|
|US||1 billion +||A widely-used social media app, Instagram caught up with 31 million downloads worldwide as per the records of Sep 2021.|
|Google Pay||US||500 million +||One of the top apps for sending money, Google Pay, encountered 8 million downloads worldwide in Sept 2021.|
|Snapchat||US||1 billion +||As per the Stats of Sep 2021, Snapchat accomplished 23 million downloads worldwide.|
|US||5 billion +||As per the statistics of Sep 2021, WhatsApp Messenger managed 25 million downloads worldwide.|
|Google Maps||US||5 billion +||In Sep 2021, Google Maps caught up with about 9 million downloads worldwide.|
|Netflix||US||1 billion +||As per the stats recorded in Sep 2021, Netflix encountered about 11 million downloads worldwide.|
|Facebook Messenger||US||5 billion +||A messenger by Facebook for group video calls, text chat, & voice calls.|
- TikTok is holding the top position on the most downloaded apps charts and is still growing constantly. In fact, as per the reports, TikTok attracted about 22.2 million new visitors in January 2021, 23.2m in February, 28.8 million in March, and it jumped to 39.2 million in April. So, the statistics say it all.
- Besides, in 2020, Cash App generated about $5.9 billion, which was around $1.3 billion in 2019, with 36 million monthly active users and 100+ million downloads. It comes with Bitcoin trading, which speeds up revenue generation on the app. Statistics clearly show the upliftment of the app with time.
- Today, Snapchat is known as a popular social media platform, specifically for young users. As of Q2 of 2021, Snapchat, a video and photo-sharing app, held about 293m daily active users globally, which was around 283m worldwide in Q2 of 2020. Being well-integrated with a plethora of features, like discover, chat, our story, memories, and more, Snapchat caught up with the roadmap to success.
- About 47% of Americans choose Netflix over any other video streaming app. As recorded in the first quarter of 2021, this app held about 208m paying Netflix subscribers. Well-equipped with unique and valuable features, Netflix marked the success as it prioritizes the subscribers’ needs.
Every day, Americans spent 8% more time on mobile than they did watching live TV. In the second half of 2020, the average American, spent 4 hours on their mobile device while they watched 3.7 hours of live TV per day.
Most Popular Apps 2021 In United Kingdom
|NHS App||NHS Digital||5 million +||NHS Digital is the Health and Social Care Information Centre in England. This app is for accessing health records & COVID status.|
|Whatsapp Messenger||US||5 billion +||As recorded in 2021, WhatsApp holds about 40.23 million users.|
|YouTube||US||10 billion +||One of the most popular apps for music videos, YouTube encountered about $76 million in revenue worldwide as recorded in Sep 2021.|
|TikTok||China||1 billion +||As recorded in Sep 2021, the worldwide revenue of TikTok is about $19 million.|
|US||1 billion +||As recorded in Sep 2021, Instagram caught up with 100k revenue worldwide.|
|Snapchat||US||1 billion +||Snapchat accomplished about $8k revenue worldwide, according to the records of Sep 2021.|
|US||5 billion +||One of the top social media apps, Facebook, encountered about 25 million Facebook downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Messenger||US||5 billion +||A text and video chat, Messenger, as per the records of Sep 2021, encountered 21 million downloads worldwide.|
|Netflix||US||1 billion +||In the UK, the number of household subscriptions reached 15+ million in Q3 2020.|
|Uber Eats||US||100 million +||An online food delivery app, Uber Eats, managed about 2 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
Last year, in 2020, Facebook successfully integrated Facebook Messenger with Instagram’s DMs and has now started its journey towards integrating WhatsApp into this mix. The success of these apps is visible. Even the stats also prove the same.
Next, in April 2021, a report said Uber Eats was considered the most popular food delivery app in the US. We can say, Uber Eats holds a broad scope ahead. In the US, the company’s market share, which was 24% in 2020, is likely to reach 30% in 2022. The concept of Uber Eats to deliver the food at any location regardless of the order amount convinced the customers and helped increase the app usage.
Most Popular Apps 2021 In China
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|National Anti-fraud Center||China||13 million||This app targets helping users maintain the security of telecommunication networks and hit about 13m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Alipay||Alipay (Hangzhou) Technology Co. Ltd||5 million +||An app that is widely known for making and receiving payments, Alipay caught up with about 90k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Singapore||100 million +||A social media and messaging app, WeChat managed about 900k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Telegram||UAE||1 billion +||A messaging app, Telegram, caught up with about 21 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|TikTok||China||1 billion +||Also known as Douyin in China, TikTok hits about 400 million active users daily.|
|Taobao-great shopping||China||666.4 million MAU||As recorded in 2021, Taobao managed 666+ million monthly active users.|
|US||1 billion +||A social media app, Twitter caught up with approximately 9 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|US||1 billion +||In China, there were about 3 01460m Instagram users as recorded in Feb 2021.|
|Pinduoduo||China||643.4 million MAU||As recorded in Q2 2021, Pinduoduo caught up with about 738.5 million monthly active users.|
|Tencent QQ||China||617.4 million MAU||As recorded in March 2021, QQ accomplished 639 million active users.|
- Launched by Alibaba Group, Alipay was the most popular payment app in China, holding 676+ million monthly active users. It’s trusted by 1.2+ billion global users and allows users to make payments, pick a suitable insurance scheme, manage finances, and more. Many features of Alipay, like offline transactions, fund escrow, and more, made the app different from other online payment apps.
- A social media app, WeChat, is growing extensively in China. In 2021, the number of monthly users has risen to approx—400,000, which was just 1.2 billion in 2020. As it has marked its strength in mobile payments, movies, restaurants, taxi booking, and retail apps, WeChat has dominated routine lives in China.
- As per the stats recorded in July 2021, Telegram holds 550+ million monthly active users, which has increased 10% in the last six months. Apart from allowing sending images, text messages, and media files, Telegram offers unlimited storage to its users and protects their chats from data loss; this helped the app attain success.
- A Chinese online shopping app, Taobao-great shopping is under the control of the Alibaba group and is constantly growing. On this app, users can buy and sell goods and services.
- Twitter holds about 192 million daily active users as per the records of 2021. By offering a new way of communication for sharing information in a controlled manner, Twitter succeeded.
- China’s most popular social eCommerce platform, Pinduoduo, reached 850 million annual buyers in Q2 2021.
- QQ, also known as Tencent QQ, is a rapid messaging software service and web portal built by Tencent, the Chinese tech giant. It has reached about 10,000,000+ installs. By obtaining patents for different technologies in various areas, like instant messaging, gaming, online payment services, eCommerce, and more, Tencent became popular.
Most Popular Apps 2021 In India
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Meesho||India||100 million +||One of the growing shopping apps in India, Meesho crossed about 19m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|US||1 billion +||As recorded in July 2021, there are about 180+ million India-based Instagram users accessing Instagram.|
|Snapchat||US||1 billion +||In India, as per records of July 2021, Snapchat’s audience base hit about 99.8 million users.|
|Google Pay||US||500 million +||In 2020, Google Pay accounted for about 857.81 million transactions.|
|US||5 billion +||As per the records of 2020, about 100 billion messages were sent via WhatsApp every day.|
|YouTube||US||10 billion +||As of 2020, every month, about 2 billion users tune in to YouTube.|
|PhonePe||India||100 million +||A secure UPI, bill payment, money transfer app, PhonePe caught up with about 14 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Flipkart||India||100 million +||India’s top shopping app, Flipkart, managed about 10 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Myntra||India||100 million +||An Indian online shopping app for men’s and women’s clothing Myntra accomplished about 6 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Hotstar||India||500 million +||A popular app for watching live cricket streaming, movies, TV shows, and more, Hotstar encountered about 9 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
As per Meesho, one lakh plus new sellers onboarded on Meesho for its four-day festive sale in October 2021. Moreover, it was expecting three times more orders daily from customers. Saurav Kumar Chachan, the senior consultant at RedSeer Management Consulting, said,
Meesho’s reselling model is much like assisted shopping. You, as a customer, buy directly from e-commerce sites like Flipkart or Amazon. But in a reseller model, there’s a third entity between the platform and the customer. The reseller will share a product within their network via WhatsApp or Instagram. If anyone wants to place an order, they will place it after adding their margin, and Meesho will deliver that product to the customer directly,Saurav Kumar Chachan
- It proves to be beneficial for all the parties like the suppliers get a chance to save on logistics and marketing, the resellers get their margin on selling products, and Meesho also earns its commission from the supplier.
- WhatsApp is available in 180+ countries and 60 different languages as per the records of 2019. Also, various factors like no flash advertisements, simple to use UI, staying connected with your connection, and more attracted people to WhatsApp.
- In India, Google Pay reached about 67 million active users in the last year and also drove transactions of $110+ billion annually. By allowing small and medium-sized businesses to enable digital payments free of cost easily, this app increased its usage.
- The stats reveal the constant growth of the app. In India, the PhonePe user base increased 40%, as recorded in the second quarter of 2021. By maximizing its potential constantly, PhonePe became the top driver of UPI transactions all over India.
- In April 2021, an Indian online fashion retailer, Myntra, attained 44+ million visits on its site domestically and is generating unexpected revenue every year.
Most Popular Apps 2021 In Australia
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Express Plus Medicare||Australia||1 million +||A mobile app that allows doing medicare business online, Express Plus Medicare caught up with 400k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|myGovID||Australia||1 million +||The Australian Government’s digital identity, myGovID, accomplished about 300k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Google Pay||US||500 million +||According to the National Payments Corporation of India, records say Google Pay hit about 972.26 million transactions in June.|
|mymacca’s Ordering & Offers||US||1 million +||A mobile ordering app, mymacca’s encountered about 200k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|TikTok||China||1 billion +||In Australia, YouTube has around 16 million monthly users, while TikTok gained nearly 2.5 million in an average of four weeks in the first half of 2020.|
|Paramount+||US||10 million +||A video-on-demand mobile app, Paramount+ managed about 600k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Shop: package & order tracker||US||10 million +||Helps in automatically tracking the online orders, Shop: package & order tracker app caught up with about 1 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|SHEIN||China||100 million +||One-stop shop for buying fashion and trends, Shein accomplished about 9 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Service Victoria||Australia||1 million +||An app that makes it easy and quick for its users to accomplish things with the Victorian Government, Service Victoria managed about 100k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Disney+||US||100 million +||The best of Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, and National Geographic, Disney+ encountered 4 million downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
- Now, medicare business online is accessible through the Express Plus Medicare app. The Google Play store figures say it has attained 1,000,000+ installs and will likely catch up with more.
- mymacca’s Ordering & Offers has reached 1,000,000+ installs and is expected to grow constantly to improve your experience with McDonald’s.
- By 2024, Paramount+ is looking to expand its services and target 65-75 million streaming subscribers.
- As recorded in Jan 2021, SHEIN reached about 7m monthly active users using the iOS app. As per stats of 2021, SHEIN is growing day by day and now serving about 1+ million daily active users.
- Disney+ accomplished about 116 million subscribers worldwide as of Q3 of 2021. Since its launch, Disney+ has been growing successfully.
Most Popular Apps 2021 In Brazil
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Shopee: Compre Online no 10.10||Singapore||100 million +||This app offers a fast and safe online shopping experience and caught up with about 4m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Conecte SUS||Brazil||10 million +||An official mobile platform of the Ministry of Health, Conecte SUS, encountered about 2m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|gov.br||Brazil||10 million +||This app offers users access to digital public services and caught up with about 1000k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Telegram||UAE||1 billion +||In Brazil, about 23% of users use Telegram, as per the records of January 2021.|
|Facily | Social Commerce||Brazil||1 million +||An app that brings the lowest-priced goods to users, Facily caught up with about 2m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|iFood: food delivery||Brazil||50 million +||This app delivers groceries and restaurant food at the doorsteps and has received about 1m downloads worldwide in September 2021.|
|SHEIN||China||100 million +||An online shopping store for fashion clothing & accessories was established in Oct 2008.|
|Kwai||China||100 million +||An app for watching and sharing popular videos, Kwai managed about 6m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Youtube||US||10 billion +||As per records of March 2021, Brazil hit about 147+ million YouTube users.|
|US||1 billion +||As of July 2021, Brazil grabbed third position with 110 million Instagram users.|
- Get the fastest and safe online shopping experience at Shopee: Compre Online no 10.10, which has reached 50,000,000+ installs so far.
- An official app of the Ministry of Health, Conecta SUS Citizen, eases Brazilian citizens to check out the interactions accomplished at health care points and observe their history in the Unified Health System (SUS). It has hit 10,000,000+ installs to date.
- A social commerce app, Facily allows shopping for goods at a lower price. It has accomplished 5,000,000+ installs until now.
- An easy to order food and drink delivery app, iFood has reached 5,000,000+ installs till now.
Most Popular Apps 2021 In Russia
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|AliExpress||China||500 million +||AliExpress offers maximum deals, fun, and more and has encountered about 5m downloads worldwide in September 2021.|
|Telegram||UAE||1 billion +||In Russia, Telegram ranked second with about 36+ million users in June 2020.|
|Госуслуги – Public Services||Russia||1 million +||This app offers eGovernment services at any time and caught up with about 1m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|WhatsApp Messenger||US||5 billion +||As recorded in May 2021, the most popular messenger app in Russia was WhatsApp, with a 74+ million audience.|
|VK — social network||Russia||100 million +||This app unites millions of users all through news and message sharing and managed about 800k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Ready school homework||Sfera LLC||1 million +||It helps to find homework ready for entire school subjects and encountered about 600k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Telegram Messenger||UAE||55.2 MAU||A live map of your family and friends, Zenly managed about 2m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|WILDBERRIES||Russian||10 million +||Offering discounts every day, Wildberries offers convenient purchases of millions of products and hit about 1 m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|US||1 billion +||In March 2021, Instagram reported about 56.5+ million active users in Russia.|
|TikTok||China||1 billion +||As of 2021, about 29+ million Russians used TikTok.|
- As recorded in January 2021, AliExpress hit about 528 million visitors.
- As recorded in Sep 2021, VK, a social network app, generated about $3 million in revenue worldwide.
- A live map of your family and friends, Zenly completed about 50,000,000+ installs until now.
- The largest Russian online retailer, Wildberries, has attained 142 global ranks worldwide as recorded in Sep 2021.
Most Popular Apps 2021 In Switzerland
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|COVID Certificate||Federal Office of Public Health||1 million +||An official app for presenting and storing Swiss COVID certificates, COVID Certificate caught about 500k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|COVID Certificate Check||Federal Office of Public Health||500 thousand +||An official application for checking COVID certificates in Switzerland, COVID Certificate Check, encountered about 200k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Telegram||UAE||1 billion +||As recorded in July 2021, a leading communication app in Switzerland, Telegram, received about 55.7k downloads.|
|TikTok||China||1 billion +||As per the records, TikTok holds about 310,000 users in the age range of 15-24.|
|MAD FUT 22 Draft & Pack Opener||Madfut||1 million +||A gaming app, Madfut 22 managed less than 5k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|SBB Mobile||Schweizerische Bundesbahnen||5 million +||In Switzerland, a popular public transport app, SBB Mobile, crossed about 70k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|WhatsApp Messenger||US||5 billion +||A messaging app owned by social media app Facebook.|
|Netflix||US||1 billion +||As per the estimates, Netflix in Switzerland earned streaming revenues of about $91.31 million in 2019.|
|YouTube||US||10 billion +||As per the records of 2021, in Switzerland, YouTube penetration was about 87.8%.|
|QR & Barcode Reader (Gamma Play)||Hong Kong||100 million +||With a functional QR scanner and barcode reader, this app accomplished about 8m downloads worldwide in September 2021.|
- Holding over 3 million users, SBB Mobile has crossed about 5,000,000+ installs so far. Various factors influenced the growth of this app, like animation shown during the wait time, adjustment of design automatically on the phone, and more.
- As per the records, on YouTube, about 5 million videos are watched every day. The simple concept of YouTube of creating and sharing unique content with a broader audience engaged millions of users globally.
- A modern barcode and QR code scanner, QR & Barcode Reader, has managed about 100,000,000+ installs.
Most Popular Apps 2021 In France
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|TousAntiCovid||France||10 million +||This app assists in protecting yourself, your loved ones, and everybody just by alerting about COVID-positive users. In September 2021, it managed about 900k downloads worldwide.|
|WhatsApp Messenger||US||5 billion +||As of May 2021, in France, WhatsApp Messenger hit about 335k downloads on the App Store and 448k downloads on the Google Play Store.|
|TAC Verif||France||1 million +||French and European Health Pass (DCC) verification app TAC Verif encountered about 500k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Doctolib||Doctolib||5 million +||An app to book a video or physical consultation with an expert health professional, Doctolib caught 500k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|TikTok||China||1 billion +||In July 2021, in France, TikTok hit about 3 billion downloads worldwide.|
|Lidl Plus||Germany||10 million +||An app offering discounts on the products that users love, Lidl Plus received about 900k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Phenix||France||1 million +||An app that permits shopping against food waste, Phenix accomplished about 200k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Vinted||Lithuania||10 million +||An app that allows selling second-hand clothing, Vinted encountered about 1m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Telegram||UAE||1 billion +||In France, monthly downloads of Telegram were recorded 305k downloads on App Store and 571k downloads on the Google Play Store.|
|Snapchat||US||1 billion +||In 2020, Snapchat reported about 17.8 million users in France.|
- A popular app to protect yourself and your loved ones by alerting, TousAntiCovid has hit about 10,000,000+ installs so far.
- French Government and European Health Pass verification application, TAC Verif, has reached almost 1,000,000+ installs to date.
- A popular mobile app to manage your health quickly, Doctolib has managed about 5,000,000+ installs until now.
- Get amazing grocery discounts whenever you shop through Lidl Plus has accomplished about 10,000,000+ installs already.
- An app that helps reduce the wastage of unsold food from nearby stores, Phenix has received 1,000,000+ installs.
- The best shopping and selling app, Vinted, has encountered about 10,000,000+ installs to date.
Most Popular App by Category
Here we have the most used and profitable apps based on categories. The stats are verified and combined with the help of app monitoring platforms.
Most Popular Gaming Apps In 2021
|Yes or No?!||US||5 million +||An app for prank-doing lovers, Yes or No?!, managed about 100k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Minecraft||Sweden||100 million +||A free popular gaming app, Minecraft, encountered about 4m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Candy Crush Saga||Great Britain||1 billion +||A puzzle game, Candy Crush Saga, received about 9m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Roblox||US||100 million +||This app allows users to create, share their experiences, and be anything they can imagine, and in Sep 2021, it encountered 12m downloads worldwide.|
|Arrow Fest||Turkey||10 million +||This gaming app let the users be the master of arrow control and encountered about 5m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|NFL Clash||US||100 thousand +||A famous football gaming app, NFL Clash, caught with 20k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Flex Run 3D||France||5 million +||A gaming app to change your shape to fit through the narrow gaps, Flex Run 3D received 90k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Stone Miner||Brazil||10 million +||A popular game app that targets crushing stones with the truck, Stone Miner, accomplished 11m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Cookie Run: Kingdom||South Korea||5 million +||A town building and adventure game, Cookie Run: Kingdom, encountered about 1m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Call of Duty||US||100 million +||A shooter video game, Call of Duty, managed about 2m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
- Per month, approx. 126 million people play Minecraft gaming app. It is not a free mobile gaming app as the players need to buy it before downloading.
- A puzzle game liked by millions of mobile gamers worldwide has received 1,000,000,000+ installs so far.
- As per records of Q2 2021, Roblox holds 43.2 million daily active users globally.
- A gaming app, Arrow Fest, has generated about $20k revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.
- A stone-crushing mobile gaming app, Stone Miner generated about $90k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.
- A perfect app for mobile gamers, Cookie Run: Kingdom has generated about $6m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.
- A battle royale, sniper gameplay, Call of Duty accomplished about $12m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.
Casual > Simulation > Sandbox games gained the most market share globally, increasing by 1.9 percentage points year on year to nearly 7 percent of the total market divided among 112 gaming subgenres.
Most Popular Social Media Apps In 2021
|Social Media Apps||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|TikTok||China||1 billion +||As recorded in May 2021, TikTok received about 80 million installs.|
|US||1 billion +||As per the report of 2021, about 81% of people research products and services on Instagram.|
|Snapchat||US||1 billion +||As recorded in the fourth quarter of 2020, Snapchat has about 265m daily active users.|
|US||5 billion +||As per the forecast of eMarketer, Facebook will constantly rule global social networking till 2024.|
|US||1 billion +||Last year, in 2020, Twitter brought in about $3.72 billion in revenue.|
|US||50 million +||A social news aggregation, discussion, and web content rating site, Reddit encountered about 2m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|BIGO Live||Singapore||100 million +||A live streaming platform, BIGO Live, accomplished about 5m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Discord||US||100 million +||Discord, the best place to video chat, talk and hang out, hit about 6m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|MeetMe||US||50 million +||A popular social media app, MeetMe, managed about 600k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|IRL – Do More Together|
|1 million +||A perfect place for social messaging, IRL hit about 500k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
- A perfect app to have the most exciting and authentic conversations, Reddit generated about $200k in revenue in Sep 2021.
- A live-streaming app, BIGO Live generated approx $9m in revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.
- A popular app to video chat, talk, and hang out with your friends, Discord had 140 million monthly active users in 2021.
- An app that assists the users in sharing their interests and chatting with people, MeetMe attained $900 in revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.
TikTok is listed in the top five in terms of time spent, and its average monthly time spent per user increased quicker than nearly every other app evaluated, including 70% in the United States and 80% in the United Kingdom — surpassing Facebook. TikTok is expected to have 1.2 billion active users by 2021.
Most Popular Communication Apps In 2021
|Communication Apps||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Whatsapp Messenger||US||5 billion +||As per the forecasts by experts, in the US, by 2023, there will be about 85+ million WhatsApp users.|
|Facebook Messenger||US||5 billion +||As per the stats of 2021, on the Facebook Messenger app, about 260m of new conversations take place daily|
|Google Duo||US||1 billion +||A top-quality video calling app, Google Duo hit about 900k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Telegram||UAE||1 billion +||By 2022, Telegram users are likely to reach about 1 billion users.|
|Singapore||100 million +||Connects people over chats, calls, and more; WeChat generated approximately $5k and less revenue in Sep 2021.|
|Zoom Meetings||US||500 million +||A free HD meeting application encountered about 17m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Skype||US||1 billion +||An instant messaging, SMS, video, and voice app, Skype, managed about 1m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Slack||US||10 million +||A popular app for team communication and collaboration, Slack, accomplished about 800k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Discord||US||100 million +||A perfect app for building communities and friends, Discord generated about $2m in revenue in Sep 2021.|
|Imo||US||500 million +||A simple, accessible, and faster instant messaging and video calling app, Imo, hit about 3m downloads in Sep 2021.|
- The best quality video calling application, Google Duo, has attained 1,000,000,000+ installs till now.
- As of April 2020, Zoom Meetings held 300 million daily meeting participants globally, which was just 10 million before six months in 2019.
- A popular app for sending instant messages, talking via video or voice call, Skype helped the web businesses globally by transforming the chat connectivity of the virtual world. One such idea made the app attain success.
- By making work-based communication engaging and fun, is the reason behind success of Slack app.
Most Popular Entertainment Apps In 2021
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Netflix||US||1 billion +||As per the reports of June 2021, Netflix generated about $14.5 billion in revenue.|
|Tubi||US||100 million +||A TV shows and movie streaming app, Tubi, hits 1m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Disney+||US||100 million +||An app with unlimited entertainment generated about $22m revenue in Sep 2021.|
|HBO Max||US||50 million +||A premium streaming app HBO Max accomplished about 2m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Roku||US||10 million +||An ultimate streaming companion, Roku managed about 1m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Hulu||US||50 million +||Hulu, a popular app for watching movies and TV shows, encountered about 2m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Peacock TV||US||10 million +||A TV streaming and movies app, Peacock TV, managed about 1000k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Amazon Prime||US||100 million +||The most popular app for watching TV shows and movies, Amazon Prime, hit about 7m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Discovery +||India||10 million +||A video streaming app with TV shows, Discovery +, managed about 400k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Twitch||US||100 million +||Twitch’s Livestream multiplayer games and esports app accomplished about 3m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
- As per the report of January 2021, Tubi crossed about 33 million monthly active users. Tubi’s plan of recreating its app with what its users want with more surprises and fewer ads will lead it towards success.
- As of Q1 2021, HBO Max and HBO crossed 2.7 million domestic subscribers. The subscribers’ gains instilled the success of the app.
- Hulu allows users to conveniently view their favorite programs, movies, and TV shows, which is the big reason behind its popularity.
- By facilitating users to watch their favorite TV shows, movies, and more free of cost, Peacock TV is gaining the top position in the list of popular apps.
- As of Sep 2021, Amazon Prime has generated about $200k in revenue worldwide. Its process of signing up and viewing is easy and offers its users a smooth experience. It is one of the chief reasons behind its success.
- Twitch attracts people who like watching others playing video games. So, it’s becoming popular among the non-players and audience also. This way engages millions of viewers and players day by day.
Due to COVID-19 time spent in streaming apps peaked in the west in Q2 2020. By 2021, the average mobile streamer in the United States, South Korea, and the United Kingdom will have downloaded 80 percent more video streaming apps, compared to pre-pandemic levels.
Most Popular Budgeting Apps In 2021
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|YNAB (You Need A Budget)||US||1 million +||Personal finance, budget, and expense tracker, YNAB (You Need A Budget), caught about 30k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Mint||US||1 million +||An amazing way to manage money, the Mint app, hit about 100k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|PocketGuard||US||100 thousand +||A free app to control your personal finance and save you from overspending, PocketGuard, encountered about 9k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Personal Capital||US||500 thousand +||An app that helps to monitor all your investments, finances, etc. Personal Capital app, managed 20k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Goodbudget||US||1 million +||A personal finance app, Goodbudget, encountered about 50k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Honeydue||US||100 thousand +||A simple app that helps manage money for couples, Honeydue, hit about 6k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Digit||Hello Digit, Inc.||1 million +||A popular personal finance app, Digit, accomplished about 20k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Stash||Stash Financial||5 million +||An app that makes investing easy, Stash, hit about 200k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Simplifi||US||100 thousand +||A popular app that manages finances effortlessly, Simplifi, encountered 10k downloads in Sep 2021.|
- YNAB (You Need A Budget) makes the users know where they spent their money and makes them aware of the expenses and income that everyone wants. Its concept is driving it on the pathway towards success.
- Various factors contribute towards the success of Mint, like availability at free of cost, Bank-Level Data Security that it offers to its users, referral solutions that magnetize them, and a lot more.
- PocketGuard app is perfect for over-spenders who look for daily reminders on their expenditure estimate and more, which is much needed today. That’s why as of Sep 2021, this app has generated about $30k revenue worldwide.
- The top personal finance app for couples, Honeydue is becoming popular with a 4.1 rating on the Google Play Store. It arrives with various amazing features that are add-ons to the app’s popularity.
- An amazing budgeting app, Digit targets saving money. It’s becoming popular with a 4.5 rating on the Google Play Store.
- Stash, a budgeting app, is becoming popular because of its various feature. Like, its automatic investing tools, a bank account that it offers, affordable investments, and a lot more.
- The best financial mobile app, Simplifi, assists in financial management and has introduced an achievement program that targets users’ positive economic growth and increases confidence by awarding them badges showcased on their profiles.
In 2020, outside of China, time spent in Finance apps increased by 45 percent year on year. Also, participation in the stock market on mobile devices has increased by 55% globally.
Most Popular Music & Audio Apps In 2021
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Spotify||Sweden||1 billion +||Spotify, a popular app to play new music and songs, hit about 17m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Soundcloud||Germany||100 million +||An app to stream music, follow artists and save tracks, Soundcloud managed about 2m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Pandora||US||100 million +||It offers a personalized listening experience and hit about 300k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|iHeartRadio||US||50 million +||A popular app for music, radio, and podcasts, iHeartRadio, encountered about 300k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Shazam||US||500 million +||Music and audio app, Shazam, managed about 4m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|YouTube Music||US||1 billion +||A world of music, the YouTube Music app, accomplished about 4m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Amazon Music||US||100 million +||A popular app to listen to podcasts, hit music, trending playlists, and more, Amazon Music managed 2m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Apple Music||US||50 million +||A music streaming app, Apple Music, completed 800k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Audiomack||US||50 million +||A free app to download and stream new music, Audiomack, recorded about 1m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|AmpMe||Canada||10 million +||Watch videos and play music on the AmpMe app that encountered about 90k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
- Now, you can listen to millions of songs and podcasts for free on Spotify, which has generated about $1m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.
- A streaming app, Soundcloud is becoming popular day by day and has generated less than $5k revenue recorded in Sep 2021 worldwide.
- By offering the users a personalized listening experience, Pandora has generated about 10m revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.
- A popular app to enjoy local and live radio stations, podcasts, music, and playlists, iHeartRadio has earned $2m in revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.
- Shazam is also getting popular as it’s best at identifying a song in seconds, discovering lyrics, artists, playlists, and video, all for free. Until now, this app has managed over 1+ billion installs.
- Best at connecting the listeners with 700+ million official songs, YouTube Music holds a 4.4 rating on the Google Play Store with 1,000,000,000+ installs.
- With the Prime membership, the users can enjoy podcasts and music on Amazon Music. It is shining high with a 4.3 rating on the Google Play Store.
- Streaming 75+ million songs and ad-free songs, Apple Music generated less than $5k revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.
- One of the best music apps, Audiomack allows downloading new music even if you are offline. As of Sep 2021, Audiomack has generated about $70k revenue worldwide.
- A #1 music player, AmpMe permits the users to turn their friends into a portable speaker system. Moreover, it has earned $10k revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.
Most Popular Shopping & eCommerce Apps In 2021
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Amazon Shopping||US||500 million +||A popular online shopping app, Amazon Shopping, hit 4m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|SHEIN – Online Fashion||China||100 million +||A fun online shopping platform, SHEIN – Online Fashion, has reached about 7+ million active users per month in the US alone.|
|Shop: package & order tracker||Canada||10 million +||An e-commerce order tracking app getting huge success in 2021.|
|Walmart||US||50 million +||One-stop-shop for all you need, the Walmart app encountered about 800k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Nike||US||10 million +||An online platform to shop for Nike and Jordan products, the Nike app hit about 2m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Offerup||US||50 million +||The biggest mobile shopping platform, Offerup, accomplished about 600k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Klarna||US||10 million +||A shopping app that can permit splitting purchase costs for easy payments, Klarna managed about 700k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Etsy||US||10 million +||Etsy, an app that permits you to shop handcrafted products, hit about 1000k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Sam’s Club||US||10 million +||Sam’s Club, a shopping app that permits scanning barcodes of shopped products and pays on the go, accomplished less than 5k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|eBay||US||10 million +||A popular online marketplace, eBay, managed about 1m of downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
- Various factors influenced the success of Amazon Shopping, like Fulfillment by Amazon, which allows it to manage the delivery experience of the consumers, pricing factor, which targets to hit the market with the lowest price, and a lot more.
- There are various steps Walmart takes to increase its popularity and downloads. Like, shares its success with its supporters, celebrates its accomplishments, goes beyond the expectations of its customers, communicates with its users and showcases that it cares, and a lot more.
- As per Statista, Nike generated about $17.2 billion in revenue in 2021. Nike’s timely investment and constant innovation have led to the brand’s success, making hundreds of million dollars annually.
- As of Sep 2021, Offerup has generated about $2m in revenue worldwide.
- Klarna comes with various features that contribute towards its popularity, like new deals, price drop alerts, shop now pay later, delivery tracking, and a lot more. Right now, it’s holding a 4.6 rating on the Google Play Store.
- Etsy is running on the way towards success. It has started modifications with its designs that are helping in increasing sales and offering ultimate growth to its sellers.
- Sam’s Club comes with distinct features and functionalities like access to digital coupons, membership renewal, and a lot more. Its unique traits guide it towards success.
- From day one, eBay is getting an applauding success. As of Oct 2021, it’s tasting success with a 4.6 rating on the Google Play Store.
Global Pinterest and Instagram downloads increased by 50% and 20%, respectively, year on year. By 2024, social commerce and live shopping will represent a $2 trillion global market. So, Mobile First Shopping has grown in 2021
Most Popular Food & Drink Apps In 2021
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|DoorDash||US||10 million +||An online food delivery app delivering your food from local and national restaurants, DoorDash, accomplished about 2m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|McDonald’s||US||50 million +||Offering the best offers on food and drinks, McDonald’s, hit 2m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|UberEats||US||100 million +||A famous food delivery app, UberEats, encountered about 2m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Instacart||US||10 million +||A grocery delivery app, Instacart, managed about 500k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Yelp||US||50 million +||A local guide that helps people find McDonald’s has the best place to eat, Yelp, accomplished about 600k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Starbucks||US||10 million +||An easy way to place customized orders and get a pickup from nearby participating stores, the Starbucks app hit 600k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Dominos Pizza||India||10 million +||A popular online food delivery app, Dominos Pizza, encountered about 2m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Grubhub||US||10 million +||A local food delivery app, Grubhub, hit about 400k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Taco Bell||US||1 million +||A famous online shopping app, Taco Bell, accomplished 300k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Dunkin||US||5 million +||Dunkin’s easy and fast online food and drink ordering app hit about 400k downloads in Sep 2021.|
- When DoorDash was born, there were various competitors in the market. But, it was constantly growing with time, and its total quarterly earnings crossed $2.5 billion in the first quarter of 2021.
- The earnings of McDonald’s are beating the estimates and reached $5.888b as of June 2021.
- Instacart’s growth boosted unexpectedly in 2020. By the end of 2021, its sales are likely to grow 11.3%.
- As of Q2 2021, Starbucks generated about $6.7 billion in revenue. The figure exhibits its constant growth.
- Dominos Pizza app arrives with unique features that contribute towards its success. Like, easy order confirmation, one-click reorder, simple order tracking, convenient payment, and more. Right now, it’s holding a 4.4 rating on the Google Play Store.
- By the end of 2021, Grubhub is likely to grow with a CAGR of approx. 32%. It’s a giant online food delivery app that is just performing unexpectedly.
- Last year, in 2020, Taco Bell’s sales reached about $1.6 million, more than in 2019. This brand is just leading, whether it’s its valuation, technology innovation, or anything else.
Most Popular Travel Apps In 2021
|Travel Apps||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|GetUpside||US||1 million +||Online shopping and cashback earning app, GetUpside, hit about 400k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Hopper||Canada||10 million +||The best flight and travel deals app, Hopper, encountered 1m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Vrbo Vacation Rentals||US||5 million +||A perfect app to find vacation homes, Vrbo Vacation Rentals hit about 400k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Google Earth||US||100 million +||Google Earth, a popular app to find satellite images of any location, encountered about 3m in Sep 2021.|
|Booking.com||Netherlands||100 million +||A famous app to plan your next trip, Booking.com, managed about 2m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Airbnb||Airbnb||50 million +||Airbnb, an app to find the best place to stay for all gateways, caught about 1m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|American Airlines||US||10 million +||An app that knows your live location at the time of your journey and offers you easy access to the right tools at the right time, American Airlines hit about 400k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Fly Delta||US||10 million +||This app helps with quick access to boarding passes and more travel information and has encountered about 300k downloads in September 2021.|
|United Airlines||US||10 million +||A famous travel partner for customers, United Airlines, accomplished about 400k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
- Hopper is a highly-rated free application, an AI-based travel app that helps people find flights and hotels at the best price.
- Google Earth facilitates the users to explore the world with imagery and 3D terrain of the whole globe. Right now, it has a 4.3 rating on the Google Play Store.
- By targeting standalone hotels, Booking.com has improved its customer base. Moreover, its booking procedure is also easy. All such traits of Booking.com are making it successful.
- Various features of Airbnb helped it attain success, like its fascinating design, custom solution to meet customer needs, and more. As of 2021, Airbnb is holding 7+ million listings.
- One of the top-rated flight booking apps, Fly Delta, makes travel easier. It’s constantly growing because of its helpful features and functionality.
- An All-in-one travel partner, United Airlines holds various features and functionality guiding the app towards the successful end. Moreover, with time, the app has adopted multiple changes to contribute more.
Most Popular Education Apps In 2021
|eLearning Apps||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Duolingo||US||100 million +||A most downloaded education app, Duolingo, managed about 6m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Photomath||US||100 million +||An online math learning app, Photomath, encountered about 3m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|PictureThis – Plant Identifier||Hong Kong||10 million +||PictureThis – Plant Identifier, an app that answers gardening questions, hit about 900k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Kahoot!||Norway||50 million +||A popular online learning app, Kahoot!, managed about 1m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Remind: School Communication||US||10 million +||A communication platform that helps the students succeed Remind: School Communication hit about 1000k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Google Classroom||US||100 million +||Google Classroom, a free service for nonprofits, schools, and learners encountered 7m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|ClassDojo||US||10 million +||A safe and straightforward communication app for students, parents, and teachers, ClassDojo, hit 800k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Epic||US||5 million +||A digital reading platform, Epic, accomplished about 200k downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Brainly||Poland||100 million +||A home learning and homework help app, Brainly, accomplished about 8m downloads in Sep 2021.|
|Socratic by Google||US||10 million +||A learning app, Socratic by Google, managed about 500k downloads in Sep 2021.|
- Crafted by language experts and liked by millions of learners globally, Duolingo has generated about $4m in revenue worldwide.
- Helps check homework, learn maths, study for exams, Photomath, generated about $100k in revenue as of Sep 2021.
- A popular plant identifier app, PictureThis – Plant Identifier, generated $4m in revenue globally as of Sep 2021. It is fast, accurate, and best at identifying the plants, increasing in the UK its success rate.
- A game-based elearning app, Kahoot brings fun and engagement to over 1 billion players annually at work, school, and home. As of September 2021, this app generated about $200k in revenue worldwide.
- Remind, a classroom-friendly and safe communication app helps teachers send messages to groups or individuals to make families and students know about the important announcements, information, and more. Right now, it holds a 4.4 rating on the Google App Store.
- A free learning platform for schools, Google Classroom targets easing development, distribution, and grading assignments. In the UK, this app was downloaded around over 603k times in Jan 2021.
- A school communication platform, ClassDojo is best for students, teachers, and families to develop close-know communities by sharing the topics learned in the classroom home through videos, photos, and messages.
- An app that offers personalized daily reading options builds readers’ confidence and tracks their progress; Epic generated about $2m in revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.
- A startup from Poland, Brainly developed a well-recognized network for students and their parents to help them engage with each other for help and advice with homework questions. Brainly raised about $80 million in 2020.
- A homework-help app, Socratic by Google, uses text-recognition technology to find the solutions to homework questions. Right now, it’s holding a 4.5 rating on the Google Play Store.
Most Popular Dating Apps In 2021
|Dating Apps||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Tagged||US||10 million +||A popular app for a meet, chat, and dating, Tagged hit 600k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Tango||US||100 million +||Tango managed about 1m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide, a live stream and video chat app, Tango.|
|Grindr||US||10 million +||A leading social networking app, Grindr, hit about 500k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|US||5 billion +||The usage of Facebook is going to reach 237.8 million by 2025.|
|MeetMe||US||50 million +||A popular app for live chat and meeting friends and new people, MeetMe, generated about $900k in revenue in Sep 2021.|
|Plenty of Fish Dating||Canada||10 million +||A famous dating app, Plenty of Fish Dating, hit 400k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Match: Dating & Relationships||US||5 million +||An online dating and relationships app, Match, encountered about 100k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|WHO – Live video chat||US||10 million +||An online video community for meeting new people.|
|Chispa||US||10 million +||A new dating app for Latinos, Chispa, hit about 40k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
- The best app to meet new people and find old friends, Tagged generated about $1m in revenue worldwide in Sep 2021. Right now, it’s holding a 4.4 rating on the Google Play Store.
- A third-party, cross-platform app for messaging, Tango generated around $4m in revenue worldwide as of Sep 2021.
- A location-based, online dating, and social networking app, Grindr raised about $2m in revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.
- Plenty of Fish Dating, a popular online dating app, helps singles find happy relations holding various free features. As of September 2021, this app generated about $5m in revenue worldwide.
- The most used dating app, Match: Dating & Relationships, helps the users meet singles nearby and date with them. As of September 2021, this app generated about $3m in revenue worldwide.
- Chispa generated around 1m in revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide, a new dating app for Latino people. Right now, this app holds a 4.3 rating on the Google Play Store.
Most Popular Health & Fitness Apps In 2021
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|Muscle Booster Workout Planner||Cyprus||10 million +||A fantastic app for home and gym workout, Muscle Booster Workout Planner, hit about 12m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Planet Fitness Workouts||US||5 million +||This workout app comes with various useful features and accomplished about 400k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Calm||US||10 million +||A sleep and meditation app, the Calm app managed about 700k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|AllTrails||US||10 million +||A guide to the outdoors, the AllTrails app is best for running, hiking, and biking trails worldwide, which reached about 300k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|NYS Excelsior Pass Wallet||NYS Office||500 thousand +||With digital proof of negative test results and COVID-19 vaccination, NYS Excelsior Pass Wallet encountered about 300k downloads worldwide in September 2021.|
|Home Workout – No Equipment||Singapore||100 million +||This app offers daily workouts for all the users’ chief muscle groups and managed about 300k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Fitbit||US||50 million +||An app dedicated to assisting people in leading more active lives and becoming healthier, Fitbit accomplished about 400k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Nutrition Coach||US||1 million +||This app arrived with an easy calories counter, delicious recipes, and customized meals plan and managed about 300k downloads worldwide.|
|MyFitnessPal||US||50 million +||This app is best for losing weight and catching up with healthy habits and accomplished about 700k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Flo Period & Ovulation Tracker||US||50 million +||Widespread female well-being and health app Flo Period & Ovulation Tracker hit about 1m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
- The smart algorithm of Muscle Booster Workout Planner guides the users through various workouts ensuring the rest is in-between. In September 2021, this app generated around $400k in revenue worldwide.
- The Gym in your pocket, Planet Fitness Workouts, is an amazing app that comes with various key features, like workout video and filtering, crowd meter, and more. As of September 2021, this app generated around $60k in revenue worldwide.
- A top-listed app for meditation and sleep, Calm generated about $5m revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide. It is best for beginners, intermediate, and experts also as it comes with distinct programs.
- A leading app for discovering backpacking, hiking, and running trails, AllTrails, earned around $1m in revenue worldwide in Sep 2021. It assists with exploring various hiking trails, recording outdoor adventures, saving your favorite tracks, and more.
- A popular app, Home Workout – No Equipment, comes with various workouts for your chest, abs, butt, arms, and whole body. As of September 2021, this app generated around $200 worldwide in revenue.
- A popular app that offers personalized guidance, video workouts, and customized health programs, Fitbit earned about $4m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.
- The nutrition Coach app comes with guidance from top trainers and diet planners to offer the users a perfect body shape. As per the records of Sep 2021, this app generated about $100k in revenue worldwide.
- A leading calorie counter app, MyFitnessPal comes with access to the biggest food database and nutritional facts for 14+ million foods. As of September 2021, this app generated about $6m in revenue worldwide.
- The flo app assists in improving the wellbeing and health of every female globally. As of September 2021, Flo Period & Ovulation Tracker generated $4m in revenue worldwide.
Most Popular App by OS
Here we have the list of popular mobile apps for different operating systems.
More than a quarter of all publishers earned more than $2 million per year on either Play Store or Apple store.
Most Popular Android Apps in 2021
|App||Publisher Country||Global Downloads||About|
|TikTok||China||1 billion +||In 2021, TikTok ranked as the 7th most popular social media app.|
|Cash App||US||50 million +||As recorded in January 2021, Cash App accomplished about 36 million active users.|
|US||1 billion +||In 2021, there were about 1.074 billion Instagram users worldwide.|
|Google Pay||US||500 million +||A secure payment app by Google.|
|Snapchat||US||1 billion +||From 2020 to 2021, Snapchat stock value experienced a hike of over 350%.|
|Whatsapp Messenger||US||5 billion +||As recorded in 2021, WhatsApp exchanges approximately 100 billion messages daily.|
|Netflix||US||1 billion +||As of Q2 2021, Netflix managed about 209 million paid memberships globally.|
|Facebook Messenger||US||5 billion +||By 2021, Facebook Messenger is likely to grow to about 2.4 billion users.|
|Tubi||US||100 million +||By 2023, Tubi, a video-on-demand advertising service app, will likely reach about $1 billion in revenue.|
|Crypto.com||US||1 million +||Buy, sell, and pay app, Crypto.com hit about 1m downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
The Crypto.com app users deposit and withdraw GBP easily using the Faster Payments Service (FPS). Right now, it is holding a 4.0 rating on the Google Play Store.
Most Popular iOS Apps in 2021
|TikTok||30.78 million DAU on iOS||As per the latest records, TikTok holds about 50% of US TikTok users aged 18 to 24.|
|YouTube||774.6 million MAU on iOS 2nd quarter 2021||In 2021, there will be about 2.3 billion YouTube users worldwide.|
|11 million downloads in Sept 2021 alone||As recorded in July 2021, Instagram holds about 32% of Instagram users aged between 25-34 years worldwide.|
|1908 million MAU 2nd quarter 2021||In Q2, the global advertising revenue of Facebook reached about $28.5 billion.|
|Snapchat||293 million DAU 2nd quarter 2021||As per records, about 210m and even more snaps are created every day on Snapchat.|
|Facebook Messenger||1300 million MAU July 2021||The Facebook Messenger platform holds about 300,000+ messenger bots.|
|Netflix||213.6 million paid subscribers the third quarter of 2021||About 64.65% of Netflix subscribers are based outside of Canada and the US.|
|Amazon Shopping||$386 billion revenue in 2020||The e-commerce giant Amazon is growing rapidly & ought to double this figure by 2020 end.|
Most Popular & Grossing Apps by Revenue In 2021
|Google One||Q3 2021 revenue $34 Billion||A perfect app for automatic phone backup expanded storage for Gmail, Drive, Photos, etc. Google One generated about $77m revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Candy Crush Saga||$473 million in 2020||A puzzle game, Candy Crush Saga, generated about $36m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|YouTube||$29 million in-app purchase in the US in June 2021||Youtube has 2b and more active users monthly.|
|Tinder||$12.44 million in June 2021 on iOS||A popular app to chat, match, and date new people, Tinder generated about $13m in revenue worldwide in September 2021.|
|HBO Max||$18 million in Sept 2021 alone||A premium streaming app, HBO Max generated about $21m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021|
|Disney +||$1 billion worldwide gross revenue in April 2021||A streaming home of favorite stories, Disney + generated about $22m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|TikTok||$170.8 million in 2020||Every day, about 90% of TikTok users visit this app more than once.|
|Bumble||$752 to $762 million revenue in 2021||An app that eases finding friends, building relationships, and more, Bumble generated about $16m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|ESPN||$4 million in Sept 2021||A popular app to watch live shows and events, ESPN generated about $4m revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Hulu||42.8 million paying subscribers in 3rd quarter 2021||An app to watch movies and TV shows, Hulu generated around $12m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.|
- An app that permits backing up and managing Google account storage, Google One reached about 200k downloads as of September 2021 worldwide.
- An app with over 30 billion matches until now, Tinder is a top-rated dating app that has accomplished about 3m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.
- One of the best online streaming apps to watch live shows, movies, and more, Disney+ managed about 4m downloads worldwide in September 2021.
- A top-listed app to start finding friends, building relationships, and making connections, Bumble attained about 900k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.
- An American multinational basic cable sports channels app, ESPN reached 1000k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.
Most Popular Paid Apps on Google Play in 2021
|Minecraft||$7.49||One of the popular gaming apps, Minecraft, generated about $7m revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Bloons TD 6||$4.99||A gaming app that arrives with various features, Bloons TD 6 encountered about 70k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Geometry Dash||$1.99||A one-touch game, Geometry Dash managed about 3m downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Stardew Valley||$4.99||A simulation role-playing video game, Stardew Valley hit about 50k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Monopoly||$3.99||A classic board gaming app, Monopoly hit about 50k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Terraria||$4.99||A popular gaming app, Terraria encountered around 20k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Human Anatomy Atlas 2021||$24.99||The best app to better understand the human body, Human Anatomy Atlas 2021, managed about 7k downloads worldwide in September 2021.|
|HotSchedules||$2.99||An employee scheduling app, HotSchedules, reached about 30k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Grand Theft Auto||$6.99||An official manual app for Grand Theft Auto V, the Manual hit about 900k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
- Bloons TD 6 gaming app is available free of cost and also includes in-app purchases.
- In Sep 2021, Geometry Dash was the #90 PC game as per the number of MAU or players.
- One of the popular mobile gaming apps, Stardew Valley, generated about $100k in revenue as of September 2021 worldwide.
- Monopoly is a classic board game on mobile which permits the players to play with their friends and family face-to-face integrated with multiplayer video chat.
- As of January 2021, Terraria was ranked #23 on the list of the Steam Charts.
- The human Anatomy Atlas 2021 app provides the users with a plethora of models to assist them in understanding and talking about the human body’s looks and working. As of September 2021, this app generated $100k in revenue worldwide.
- A leading employee scheduling app, HotSchedules earned about $100k in revenue in Sep 2021. It saves about 75% time while building schedules and one-click approvals for the shift changes.
Most Popular Paid Apps on App Store in 2021
|Minecraft||$6.99||The daily players of Minecraft reached 200,000+ in Sep 2021.|
|Bloons TD 6||$4.99||A famous gaming app, Bloons TD 6, generated about $2m revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Geometry Dash||$1.99||A single touch gaming app, Geometry Dash, held about 8,244.1 average players as recorded in Sep 2021.|
|HotSchedules||$2.99||The best app for easiest and fastest management of team schedule and communication, HotSchedules generated about $100k revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
|Procreate Pocket||$4.99||A powerful app for creative professionals, Procreate Pocket hit about 40k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|True Skate||$1.99||An official Street League Skateboarding gaming app, True Skate, managed about 50k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Plague Inc.||$0.99||A global hit, real-time strategy simulation video game, Plague Inc. reached about 400k downloads worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Monopoly||$3.99||A board gaming app, Monopoly generated about $200k worldwide in Sep 2021.|
|Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas||$6.99||Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, an action-adventure game, hit about 50k downloads in Sep 2021 worldwide.|
- A hilarious gaming app, Heads Up! is one of the popular mobile app games which generated about $50k in revenue as of September 2021 worldwide.
- One of the best mobile apps for creating unique sketches, fascinating illustrations, rich paintings, and appealing animations, Procreate Pocket generated around $200k in revenue worldwide in Sep 2021.
- An official Street League Skateboarding gaming app, True Skate, reached around $400k in revenue worldwide as of September 2021.
- World’s top gaming app, Plague Inc., hit about 5+ million 5 start ratings as mentioned on the Google Play Store and reached around $90k in revenue in Sep 2021 worldwide.
What is the difference between Top Grossing and Top Paid in the App Store?
There are three categories of apps,
- Top Free,
- Top Paid, and
- Top Grossing.
The first category of apps, Top Free apps, is the one that has reached the maximum number of downloads holding a price of just $0.
The second category of apps, Top Paid apps, are those which has reached the maximum number of downloads holding a price of more than $0.
The third category of apps, Top Grossing apps, is the one that has generated the highest total revenue, i.e., price * quantity sold + revenue from in-app purchases.
The success of an app relies on the users’ choices and their needs. So, you should always try including the requisite features in your app.
We have tried our best to showcase various vital mobile app stats before you. We hope you found this post informative and helpful to guide you towards making a popular mobile app holding essential features and functionalities that the users want.
These were the latest stats of the top mobile apps that we accumulated for you. We promise to update this post as soon as we catch up with the new mobile app statistics.
So, keep checking out our blog to stay well updated with the most popular app statistics.
Frequently Asked Questions about Popular & Most Downloaded Apps
Today, as different mobile apps meet our distinctive needs, various apps of varied niches are available in the market.
While looking a little closer at these apps, you will know that each supports a specific section of our lives by meeting our different needs and cultivating a habit of coming back to them every day. This habit makes the users check the apps regularly without even thinking much about them.
Like, for entertainment, we tap on YouTube to capture a moment we sign in to Snapchat or Instagram and more. Moreover, to talk to a friend, we open zoom.
Every app, as mentioned above, engages users and makes them visit again, and builds up loyal users.
Facebook is the number one app used that is free to download and the most used smartphone app.
As per the downloads and revenue of apps recorded in Q2 2021, TikTok is the number one and the most popular app.
The photo-sharing app, Instagram, is trending nowadays and is likely to engage more users in the upcoming years also. We can say this by reviewing its past stats.
For example, as per the records, in 2019, Instagram held about 815 million users, and by 2023, it’s likely to reach approximately 1.2 billion users. So, the future of Instagram is quite bright.
Well, we can’t come up with the name of the most successful app of all time. But, as per the latest stats, the top apps are Whatsapp, Instagram, Facebook, and more. Still, if you want to come up with the most popular app idea, you can check out the above-mentioned apps’ statistics thoroughly.
As per the records of Q1 2021, Facebook reported 3.51+ billion monthly active users, which is quite a significant figure compared to other apps.
Various types of apps from different industries are in demand, like food delivery apps, online payment wallets, healthcare apps, educational apps, and more.
You can check out our article holding 200+ best mobile app ideas that will trend in upcoming years.
When it comes to developing an app, you can choose from these three options:
> Hire an app development company,
> Hire an app development freelancer, or
> Build an app yourself (if you hold the required skills).
If you find it confusing, you can ease your job by checking out our article, “How to create an app?”.
We can make money with an app through:
> In-App Advertisements
> Freemium Upsell
> In-App Purchases
> Subscription and more.
There are more best ways to earn money with an app. Check out our blog to know more.
There are various essential mobile app metrics that you can use to measure the success of your app:
> Number of users
> Screen Flow
> Session Interval
> Session Length
> Time In App
> Lifetime Value (LTV)
Well, it’s not tough to evaluate the success of your app. Still, you can go through our article to understand it better.
The most popular apps save the money and time of the users, are easy to use, and play an essential and everyday role. Users find themselves lost in the absence of such apps. So, you need to ensure that users start seeing your app as valuable, then your app will become popular.
Follow our sure-shot app marketing strategies to make your app popular.
Resources & Citations